Advertisements
Advertisements
This may be odd and I know that many people have already written posts like this but I thought I would throw in my two cents here from an international adoptee.
First, I do want to thank my birthmother for the gift of life. I don't know much about you-just that you were in your 30s, had a 5th grade education and were an agricultural worker. I was your 4th or 5th child and I believe that only the child before me was from the same father as me. I know that one of the reasons you chose to give me up for adoption was because that man offered you no support throughout your pregnancy with me. I am both torn by the fact that you must have kept your other children but chose to give me up. But I am also so thankful because I imagine it must have been that much harder on you to look at them every day and remember me. I know you wanted me to have a better life and to have the oppurtunities you couldn't give me. I am so grateful for that. I have to say that I think I am at peace with the fact that I will probably never meet you. That's okay. But I won't ever forget you and I won't ever forget that you made a really unselfish decision in the face of difficult circumstances. Thanks.
Second, I do want to thank my adoptive parents. My parents for all intents and purposes. I know that you didn't choose to adopt me because you couldn't have children of your own. You chose to adopt me because you knew you wanted to adopt even before you got married. I know that you were young and just starting out, had only been married a few years and you chose to take a huge step and adopt a child from out of the country. A child that you knew would look totally different from you. A process that must have been incredibly expensive at that point in your life. Ever since I took a class on the Modern History of Latin America I have since realized what a tremendous risk you took for your own safety when you went to South America to get me at that period of time. Thank you for wanting me, loving me and raising me all of these years. I have never, ever doubted once, during all the times we haven't gotten along, that you regretted your decision. Thank you for the gift of life you gave me in y our own way.