Advertisements
Advertisements
I read this on another thread. It was taken from B.J. Lifton's website. I had never heard this , and found it interesting, and true, IMO.
Quote:
Ghosts
Therapists often ask me to supervise their work with adopted patients. I try to make the adoptee visible to them, and to do this I call in the ghosts that
accompany everyone in the triad. It is not possible to see the adoptee, the adoptive parents or the birth mother without seeing the ghosts that accompany
them.
* Adoptee
* On one side of the adoptee is the ghost of the child he might have been had he stayed with his birth mother.
* On the other side is the ghost of the child his parents might have had, or the child who died. This ghost is like a sibling rival, who the adoptee may
try to compete with, or give up on without even trying.
* And there is the ghost of the birth mother, from whom the adoptee has never fully disconnected, the ghost of the birth father, and the birth clan.
* Birth mother
* The birth mother is accompanied by the ghost of the baby she gave up
* The ghost of the birth father, who is gone
* The ghost of the mother she might have been
* The ghost of the adoptive parents who are raising her child
* Adoptive Parents
* The adoptive parents are shadowed by the ghost of the perfect child they might have had
* The ghost of the birth mother and birth father, whose child they are raising
The Ghost Kingdom
All of these ghosts fluctuate between dispensing comfort and wreaking havoc in the psyche. Too dangerous to be allowed into consciousness, they are usually
banished into what I call The Ghost Kingdom. It is an awesome sphere, located in everyones psychic reality. We can think of it as an Alternate Reality.
In the past, one could only enter oneҒs Ghost Kingdom through fantasy, but now in this Age of Search and Reunion, the ghosts are being morphed into real
life people who inhabit the real world.
Above excerpt taken from
BJ Lifton - Author, Adoption Counselor, Lecturer.
It's an interesting theory. I can certainly see the analogy of the ghost in my adoption experience. Even if you are an adoptee, who doesn't feel the loss and grief, mentioned in "The Primal Wound", can you see your Bio fam in this analogy? I'm not implying anything, just curious about everyone's opinion and thoughts on this. This, IMO, is not about loss/denial/ and all those things we debate, so let's try not to turn this into the same old kicking of the dead horse; well adjusted,happy, good adoptee vs maladjusted, angry, bad adoptee debate, if we can help it. lol All insights and opinions are welcome. I included the BP and AP part for comment as well.
Soooo, what do you guys think?
IMO, the ghost are all those things, not just in adoption, but in life, that could have been, should hav been, might have been, wish had been, but will never bee, could never have been because of choices we make or circumstances out of our control. Fantacies of what is not...dreams of what you might wish for if you prefer it worded that way. Curiosity of what is unknown to you, but you can never truthfully know. It doesn't really matter if you ignore them, deny them, or accept and acknowledge them. They are there. It's human nature. Isn't it?
Birth parents will always exist. The adoptive parents will always exist. Adoptees will always be. Adoption doesn't make anyone in the triad disappear. Whether closed semi open, or open, reunited or never reunited. All members of the triad are there ...somewhere...lurking just out of sight, out of mind sometimes, but always there. Sometimes they are felt; sometimes not...like ghosts.
Advertisements
Shadow...
I agree with you. I think "The Ghost Kingdom" applies to all human beings. I'm pretty sure Lifton based some of this construct on Carl Jung's work.
You know, it just dawned on me that Betty Jean Lifton joined up here last year to announce the reprinting of one of her books. I think her user name is BJLifton. Do you think she might come explain "The Ghost Kingdom" to us if we wrote her a PM or email??
I certainly don't see how it would hurt to ask. I'm not sure it would make much difference. If a person thinks this stuff is all beef poop, even her explinations probably wont make any difference to them. If a person is interested, I'm sure she explains it in her books. I don't know how to add a link to an email, so if anyone wants to email/PM her and ask her to chime in, go for it. You never know.
beef poop
<snickering>
:evilgrin:
Either you're interested or not, doesn't matter who tries to explain it. But that would be really cool to see more in type from Ms Lifton!
I agree Raven, about Jung in the background, which is the duality thing he and so many others write about.
If you don't do duality, how could you possibly do the ghost kingdom, or inner child, inner mother, inner self, etc. (which I see as 'ghosts' in a way too)
There were many things Lifton has written that were very interesting to me, I think I'll go back and re-read since it's been forever for me! Ms Liftons works were some of the first out there that I found.
I am drawn to all of the duality stuff, it's everywhere and in everything if you ask me!
I heard an interesting one, that I put into the duality group, but not sure: If Jesus is truly in my heart, who am I really praying to? Who do I really Love?
"Nothing a few good incense candles and wine doesn't take care of though. Err...I mean, discussion and honesty."
Crick, LOL I thank all that is good for stinky candles and wine!
Advertisements
I have yet to find the "perfect" child.
Maybe they live in that 'perfect' world that I can't seem to find either.
When I read the explanation of the "perfect child" I didn't see it as the actual child being perfect, but that the child of their fantasy would be perfect. Think of all the moms-to-be who think and say, "well my child would NEVER do that...my child will ALWAYS.." You get the drift. When something is concieved in our mind, of course we are going to make it "perfect". Those "Perfect Child Ghosts" of the aparents, would soon become "regular children" like all the rest of us, once they are born! I think that BJ was just trying to make a point that the aparents MAY have a "lofty" idea that their biological child would be "perfect", just like most aparents thought their achild was going to be...until of course the child arrived and hit about two years old!!!! lol
I think I can relate to what she is saying, because for YEARS and YEARS (okay 30 years and six months and ten days...) I thought I would have the PERFECT bmom. And I did, in my fantasy...in my thoughts....but then I was faced with reality and met my bmom! (can you hear the song in the background softly playing, "back to life..back to reality!?!")
Brock...
That is exactly how I read the "ghost of the perfect child" too. I seem to have lost my Lifton book that explains the "Ghost Kingdom"...it's somewhere in my barn, buried under 100's of other books. (I need more bookcases, lol, but my house is running out of space for them.) But from what I recall, your interpretation of the "perfect child" is the same as her's.
BrockBaby
When I read the explanation of the "perfect child" I didn't see it as the actual child being perfect, but that the child of their fantasy would be perfect.
I read it the same way as you...For me, it's just one of those words that doesn't sit right with me I suppose, just like "real" or "deserve" or "grateful" or any number of words that can evoke certain feelings. Maybe because visions of what my biological children would be like were kind of put on the back burner when I was 22, and it's just so long ago that I don't even remember entertaining any of those thoughts, though I must have at one time or another.
May not seem logical, but either am I half the time, lol...
Advertisements
Yes - I know this is a OLD thread but for some reason I actually remembered this thread, which is amazing as a year ago my memory still sucked big time...
It was a conversation mom and I had last time I was down that made me remember it. Now that she is alone and we are middle aged, she is feeling the loss more because dads genes never got passed on that in my mind that is a tragic but it makes me sad for her.
But anyway I thought I would see if anyones ideas have changed or the newbies might enjoy the concept.
D
I'm just now getting to see this and it really hit me. Dickons thanks for the bump, today seems to be the perfect day for me to see this
Dickons,
Thanks for resurrecting the thread -- it's a good one. Betty Jean has been on my mind the past few days, so this is really timely for me. It's just so darn sad that we lost her this past year.
She was an extremely wise and talented woman who did so much to advance adoptee rights and adoption reform. I miss her terribly...
Advertisements
Hey Raven,
Would you pick some favorite quotes / topics from one of her book to continue this thread / morph into a BJ Lifton discussion?
D
Dickons
Hey Raven,
Would you pick some favorite quotes / topics from one of her book to continue this thread / morph into a BJ Lifton discussion?
D
Sure thing, Dickons. I'll have to dig through my bookcases, though, which might take some time. (I have way too many books -- I just can't seem to bring myself to give any of them away. I think I need a bigger house so I can put up more bookcases!)