Advertisements
Advertisements
AmyAnne, that's what we were thinking this was...not a true hunger, but a neediness for attention/nurturing, which is why the therapist said ALWAYS give her something when she complains of hunger (even if it's just a celery stalk!) This has worked with a mint when we're in the car and there's nothing else, so in those instances, we can tell it's not a real hunger thing. BUT...the dietician said she isn't receiving enough calories to maintain her BMI...she's beginning to fall after a summer height jump. (She has always been in the 5-10% range for height and weight since birth, but this summer jumped to 25% for height. So now we're supposed to up her calories to match that %, which is only one additional snack per day). Yes, that's something we can do.
But the thing I don't like about this dietician/nutritional counselor's plan is to let our cherub determine the WHAT she eats (dietician said if she chooses dessert each night and nothing else, that's OK. EVENTUALLY she'll even out when the control battle is over and will begin to eat her veggies and protein. I highly doubt it!) and the HOW MUCH (in that she can ask for serving after serving of a particular item (without eating the other items) and we're just supposed to oblige.
This dietician has worked with kids with eating disorders, but it's apparent she has never worked with RAD kids. :eek:
Anyway, will be talking to attachment therapist soon to go over dietician's recommendations. Our original question wasn't "is our kid too thin" (she is, a jumpy, hypervigilant, manic child who burns alot of energy), but rather, "WHY does she act hungry every hour or so, or even 30 minutes after a full meal? Is it just for attention or control, a true hunger, or maybe she's missing a vital nutrient/mineral, etc.?) Never got an answer to those questions. :(
Advertisements
I have found it very tough to find any therapists who can deal with eating disorders and RAD in the same kid. My son is finally eating some, and not loosing weight and he is no longer throwing up several times a day. However, he is not growing. He has gained only 4lbs in the last three years, he actually gained a bunch of that in the first few months, and then lost down to 4 lbs below his starting weight he has now maintained the same weight for almost a year. We have had no successful therapists. We have worked hard with him and made some progress.
AmyAnne, I hear you. This child is thinner than her bio sibs, and they all eat about the same amounts. Seems "natural" to me, so I'm not too worried. (Tho I will make more healthy calories available because there's no harm in that. They get VERY healthy foods at home, but HORRIBLE options at school and candy every stinkin' day!)
Momraine, I think we'll be doing what you're doing and just trying to figure this thing out ourselves. I'm pretty tuned into my kids, and I'm seeing this as an "I don't trust you to take care of me, so I'm going to remind you of my needs--constantly" kind of thing. :)