Advertisements
Advertisements
i'd love to know! if you have more than one child so more than one answer...you should be able to vote more than one time. if not, leave it on a post here and i will add it to the poll. :)
i'd also love some tips on how to teach a kid to do this...so please feel free to share what worked for you! :)
As a Kindergarten teacher I can tell you that many children do not know how to tie their shoes at age 5 when they start school. I always gave them until Christmas to learn. After that point I told them I would no longer tie their shoes for them. (of course I did, but I wanted them to have some motivation!!)
Advertisements
becky
As a Kindergarten teacher I can tell you that many children do not know how to tie their shoes at age 5 when they start school. I always gave them until Christmas to learn. After that point I told them I would no longer tie their shoes for them. (of course I did, but I wanted them to have some motivation!!)
Now I know who you are! You are Spiderman's kindergarten teacher! He was told that he could not be promoted to first grade unless he could tie his own shoes, and he learned in 48 hours! LOL
MamaS
Now I know who you are! You are Spiderman's kindergarten teacher! He was told that he could not be promoted to first grade unless he could tie his own shoes, and he learned in 48 hours! LOL
My son would be the one to say 'Ok. Whatever. I'll stay in kindergarten.' :)
Both my son and daughter could tie their shoes in pre-school. My son (10 months older) taught his sister. He learned early to make all kinds of sailing knots.
My daughter was the only one in her pre-school who could tie shoes. She helped the teacher get the kids shoes on.
I still couldn't tie when I was in the third grade. I was a late bloomer.
When I learned to tie, I used 2 loops. Called them rabbit
ears. Then just tied them like a knot.
My oldest was 4 when she learned. She is very self motivated to learn things. I found at the dollar store this cut out of a shoe with laces(much easier to carry around than a shoe) she would take it and practice in the car.
Advertisements
Mom2princess
My oldest was 4 when she learned. She is very self motivated to learn things. I found at the dollar store this cut out of a shoe with laces(much easier to carry around than a shoe) she would take it and practice in the car.
She sounds like my DD... If there is something she wants to learn WATCHOUT! She is extremely determined. She started @ 3 tying Papa's tennis shoes. She was real good @ knots :-) Which didn't make him to happy! We got the scholastic book for learning to tie shoes and she was a pro in her early 4's. Her Pre K class learned how this year as well. Which put her out of a job helping everyone w/ their shoes but she handled that well :-).
DPline
My son would be the one to say 'Ok. Whatever. I'll stay in kindergarten.' :)
LOL! This is Carolina, all the way. I think she'll be wearing velcro shoes for as long as they continue to make them in her size!
My 7 year old is the only one who can tie his shoes; learned when he was 5. Jesse doesn't even work the velcro very well (He's 4 now and is autistic)
Carolina will be 4 in a couple weeks and couldn't care about learning to tie her shoes. Clair-Elise is 2 1/2 and has almost been able to do it.
Advertisements
J was 6, S was 4, and the 2 younger boys were in kindy so 5-5.5
They all tie well now and I attribute a lot of it to soccer & basketball. Most sports shoes tie and you don't want to be on the field or court asking a ref to tie your shoe after a certain age!;)
J took forever to learn but a lot of that was non exposure & velcro of course! S picked it up quickly and K & T both really learned from S. Her way was easier than Mommy's way apparently! LOL!
So if there's any older siblings willing to give it a try teaching the younger ones, they might like it!:)
crick
S picked it up quickly and K & T both really learned from S. Her way was easier than Mommy's way apparently! LOL!
So if there's any older siblings willing to give it a try teaching the younger ones, they might like it!:)
Would S like to come spend a week with us during her next school break and work with Daniel??? Alec can't be bothered with his own shoes so he sure as heck is not going to teach Daniel. :D (Then again, he is 11 and I find he can't be bothered with much of anything! But that is another thread!)
ROFL! Sure D, I'll send her out! That 11 year old boy thing...I hear ya! For awhile my 13 year old just stuffed his laces into his shoes and walked with them falling off his feet. Then sometimes he'd tie but really loose and big so they'd just come undone. Now he's better and ties them tight. I think middle school p.e. teacher had a lot to do with that one! LOL!
Maybe we can do a swap and S can work on Daniel and your son can work with Alec! (Maybe get Alec to get a haircut too?? :arrow: )
Advertisements
My son has dexterity issues and the doctor recommended using a large ribbon on the fridge to help him get the idea and lots of practice before he tried it on his smaller shoelaces.