Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Confessions...
I confess that as a birth mother and an adoptee, I often have conflicting opinions about what I think is right and it often leads me to really become angry with myself because I don’t know which one is actually “right”.
I confess that even though I have been immensely blessed with having an open adoption with my daughter, sometimes I hate her parents with a passion so deeply it sends me into a deep depression.
I confess that, even though I have said above as well as on the forums how lucky I am to have an open adoption – my adoption has become almost totally closed because I can’t bear watching the damage her parents are doing to her – instead, I watch from a distance, via Facebook.
I confess that it really hurts my feelings when people can’t see me for more than ‘just a birth mother’.
I confess that it really bothers me when people feel like their way or their experience is the only acceptable path along the journey of life. In tandem, I confess that I try as hard as I can to excise that toxicity from my life. Sometimes, I don’t have that luxury and it frustrates me.
I confess that most of the time, I really, really, loathe my birth mother. I stay in contact with her (1-2 emails per year) only because I need health information and she sometimes lets that slip – but never, ever, tells me when I actually ask for it. In my defense, she is a cold heartless woman who has never tried, even a little bit, to have a relationship with me.
I confess, I feel really guilty for not having a relationship with my birth mother because I suspect the reason I don’t is because it’s just to painful for her to be reminded that the decision she made ultimately ended up being awful.
I confess that it scares the ach, e, double hockey sticks out of me to think that my daughter and I will suffer a similar fate – because like my birth mother – I am truly and deeply hurt by the decision I made when choosing her family – although, like my birth mom, I had very limited (and not totally honest) information on which to base my decision – I know it’s not my birth mom’s fault that my childhood was so bad – I hope M comes to know the same thing.
I confess that while my own adoption story is anything but sunshine and roses – I do think that ethical adoption is a wonderful, beautiful thing.
I confess sometimes, I have to ‘turn it all off’ and just go be Brandy – while adoption is a huge part of my life, both personally and professionally – it rarely plays a role in my day to day life outside of the office.
Unless I blog about it – which I rarely do.