Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all!
My DH and I are former foster parents (we had 4 placements in the past) but we decided to close our home shortly before the birth of my youngest biological child. (long story but it was our decision not an action of the agency against us) Now we realize that was a mistake and would love to foster again. :( Has any one out there that stopped fostering and re-open their home even after closing your case??? We are fine with going through background checks, inspections and etc again but we don't want to go through the classes again if we don't have to.
All input welcomed!
The classes you took (along with everything else) have an "expiration date" for lack of a better word. Usually it's something like one year - every year you're with the same agency you'd have to take some continuing education classes instead of taking the same classes over, but if you let everything lapse completely then you have to start over with the same classes. But that's "usually".
If you are planning on using the same agency (state agency or private agency) then you can call them and ask if those old classes you took still count. They may or they may not. Same question with all the other things you did - paperwork, doctors, etc.
If you're planning on changing agencies, then chances are your classes would not transfer anyway. But it would not hurt to call the new agency and ask.
Hope that helps!
Advertisements
You have to keep up with your continuing education classes to renew your license. Renewal is every 2 years for my agency. If you don't get it done, or let your license lapse, you have to retake the entire class schedule again.
You shouldn't have to retake the MAPP classes unless there was some sort of change that was required nationally or in your state that happened during your haitus.
In our state it's looked at like a new application if you've ended your license and then want to reopen. You'll want to check your state home inspection for any changes. I had a room grandfathered in under the old licensure laws but state laws have changed. That room would not be allowed to be considered a bedroom without major structure changes now.
We just went through this...we left our old agency in April last year. In December we decided we wanted to start again and found a new agency. Our file was transferred and we found out the classes/continuing education is "good for" one year. Our new agency really scrambled to get our file re-opened and all the paperwork done before the year was up.
I would call the agency you wish to work with now and talk to their licensor and tell them your situation and ask for information...these things vary state to state.
Good luck!!
We just went through this. We were FP in 2005 but decided to stop due to DH's work schedule changing. We just reopened in Jan. 2009.
We were initially told we would have to take the MAPP classes again, but then our county DHS approved us to have the MAPP classes waived. (Which was a blessing... we went to the first one 2nd time around and it was seriously exactly the same! lol) We don't use an agency but go through the state directly in Iowa.
We were told some counties will waive MAPP, while others won't. Just depends.
We had to go through pretty much the entire process.. home study, background checks, etc except for the MAPP classes and we were up and going again!:clap:
Advertisements
This is REALLY enccourgaing information. We are fine with doing all the other stuff again but dreading sitting through the classes again. :thanks: so much! This board is the best!