Advertisements
Advertisements
What is your experience with this... Kinship with criminal history?
What sort of violations (and how long ago) can make them turn down a potential kinship placement?
Thanks!!!
Here it was no records relating to anything with kids...and then other stuff was like 10 yrs ago or longer. But they would take a statement from you if they found anything and it was a case by case basis.
Advertisements
I was told here that anyone with a record was automatically disqualified from being a foster parent, even if it is a relative.
I'm guessing it's a state decision. I know of families on this website where one of the parents has a record but they have adopted kids.
My kids were placed with a relative who has had several DUI arrests. There were also issues with domestic violence, but they went there anyway. I had another sib set who were sent to an aunt who had addiction issues. They were removed from there when the issues resurfaced.
I'd ask. If the history is old and the person has had no other issues, then they could be eligible. Ask.
Thanks, Ya'll! Based off of what the sw told me, I was pretty sure the relative would be disqualified, but wanted to do some of my own research. You all here gave me some good info to start me off, and now I have found (I love google)that some crimes disqualify you for five years, some forever. Interesting...
Anyhow, thanks for the help! : )
Anyone know of/ have any experience/insight with a kin having recent/significant mental illness and getting custody of FC?
Really, there are no records, despite HIPPA - so how would the licensing agency even know about kin's issues....hmmmmm
Advertisements
kayb
Anyone know of/ have any experience/insight with a kin having recent/significant mental illness and getting custody of FC?
Really, there are no records, despite HIPPA - so how would the licensing agency even know about kin's issues....hmmmmm
If there are no records, then the illness does not "exist." Now that does not mean that it wouldn't be a factor in the homestudy--it just means that it is undiagnosed.
And if no one is willing to talk about it and the person has no criminal or other records and is able to keep themselves together long enough to go through a homestudy, unless someone asks for a psych eval, it is possible that kids could be placed with them.
But it might not be probable.
Mental illness doesn't disqualify.
Even when self reported - it won't disqualify someone from fostering or adopting.
If they can pass a homestudy and are under the care of a Dr., they will be approved.
I've got some personal experience with this...