Advertisements
Advertisements
I guess you could say I'm your average adoptee. I was a foster child (along with my 6 week old brother) at the age of 18 months. I don't remember much, but I do remember the court judge asking me if I wanted to live my adoptive parents. I remember getting excited when other children were brought into the family and later adopted. My family grew from just me and my brother to 11. That may not be your average adoptee, but my feelings as an a adoptee were normal.
My adoptive parents were strict, and very religious. There were so many children, we mainly kept each other company. New clothes were rare, far and few inbetween.
Why was always a regular question for me. Why was I put up for adoption? Why did my parents not want me? Why was I put in a family where I was just "another child" and not a daughter.
I was "informed" by a family member that the reason behind my adoption was young age, and drugs. 8 years ago, I came on here with information I had found, and found my mother. I was so excited, dreams fling in my head, I was just so excited. My expectations were SKY HIGH. When I met her, I knew right away that she was my mother. I looked like her, I talked like her. Only thing I wasn't expecting was that it wasn't all a bed of roses, and things weren't always wonderful. I'm afraid that put a strain on our relationship because I started resenting her for putting us up for adoption. And when I asked for info on my birth father, she was hurt, as if I was trying to replace her.
I only wanted a father. A chance to possibly have a real family, with a mother and father that loved me more than 10 others. A father who would dress me up in little frilly dresses and call me his little girl.
8 years later, after asking her again for I think the third time, she finally gave me my father's information. 6 hours later of research.... I found my father in a sobering facility. He's spent 31 of my 35 years of life in the penitentiary. Knowing how my first experience went with my mother.... I didn't have any expectations this time.
So why this drawn out story? Because we as adoptees have spent many years dreaming of the day we meet our birth parents. My birth mother pretends that my adoptive parents are lying about why i was adopted. My birth father accepts and takes responsibility for his wrong doing. I have found that the less I expected, the better the reunion. And there is a reason you were adopted. Be thankful for what you had, not what you didn't have. And when you do finally get what you want, embrace it openly and realistically. By the way, I have forgiven my birth mother....I learned to move forward, not backwards.
Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad to know you were able to find it in your heart to forgive.
I need to find that in my heart on behalf of our son. He was previously our nephew, was in foster care for about 1 1/2 years while we went through the process to have him placed with us. Once he was with us, the adoption happened a month later, with Bparents voluntarily signing away their rights.
If I may ask-knowing your bmother struggled with addiction, would you have wanted contact over the years? Or was it better to have a reunion as an adult?
Thank you, whatever you decide to share.
Advertisements
RobinKay
Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad to know you were able to find it in your heart to forgive.
I need to find that in my heart on behalf of our son. He was previously our nephew, was in foster care for about 1 1/2 years while we went through the process to have him placed with us. Once he was with us, the adoption happened a month later, with Bparents voluntarily signing away their rights.
If I may ask-knowing your bmother struggled with addiction, would you have wanted contact over the years? Or was it better to have a reunion as an adult?
Thank you, whatever you decide to share.
I think I would have wanted to have made the contact when I asked my birth parents at age 18. There's so many years that I lost with my father.... and I probably could have had valuable time with my mother, weither or not she was willing to change. She was still my mother. I understand now that the past is exactly that, the past. And I was adopted for a reason. As an adult, I realize that, and wish others could grasp that. The more open I feel adoptive parents are... I feel the better the whole experience from adoption to search, to reunion would be. No matter what happened with the birth parents, keep it positive. That's half the reason I was so hard on my birth mom. She was made to look like a drugged out physo, and weither or not she was, that was all I saw. I didn't even give her the chance. That's why I want to share.
averagjane
I think I would have wanted to have made the contact when I asked my birth parents at age 18. There's so many years that I lost with my father.... and I probably could have had valuable time with my mother, weither or not she was willing to change. She was still my mother. I understand now that the past is exactly that, the past. And I was adopted for a reason. As an adult, I realize that, and wish others could grasp that. The more open I feel adoptive parents are... I feel the better the whole experience from adoption to search, to reunion would be. No matter what happened with the birth parents, keep it positive. That's half the reason I was so hard on my birth mom. She was made to look like a drugged out physo, and weither or not she was, that was all I saw. I didn't even give her the chance. That's why I want to share.
Thank you, this helps me a great deal. Our son is 10.
We talk about his bparents whenever the topic comes up. When we visit the area, we set up a visit. When either of them are in jail, we let him know, and why they are there. We keep it appropriate, but we do not lie about their illegal activities.
The next time we visit family, we will let him make the call whether to see them. He is old enough now to know what he wants.
We will support the good memories he has, and there are some good ones. He still loves them, and we do not want that to change. We also want to raise him so that he will have the skills to care about someone but not let that someone manipulate him emotionally.
It's a day by day process.
I am glad you found this site, please continue to share and I hope others will respond.
thank you