Advertisements
Advertisements
I have some questions about adopting.
I have just gotten married in february. Though me and my now husband have been living together for three years. We are interested in adoption down the road at some point
How long do you have to be married before you can adopt a child? We are hopefully going to be able to adopt a child from an infant up to 5 years old. Also are you able to adopt a child if you have some sort of special need's(We are both on something called aish) but we don't fully have any issues like down-syndrome or anything like that. My husband never learned to read or write and i just am a very shy type of person. As well is there a certain age someone can adopt? I am going to be 24 and my husband is going to be 30 in july(both of us) but we won't really be considering it until we are able to talk to our families about how they would feel about if we adopted a child.
IWant2BeAMom
I have some questions about adopting.
I have just gotten married in february. Though me and my now husband have been living together for three years. We are interested in adoption down the road at some point
How long do you have to be married before you can adopt a child? We are hopefully going to be able to adopt a child from an infant up to 5 years old. Also are you able to adopt a child if you have some sort of special need's(We are both on something called aish) but we don't fully have any issues like down-syndrome or anything like that. My husband never learned to read or write and i just am a very shy type of person. As well is there a certain age someone can adopt? I am going to be 24 and my husband is going to be 30 in july(both of us) but we won't really be considering it until we are able to talk to our families about how they would feel about if we adopted a child.
Hello! I am an adoptive mom in Alberta. The only way I know to get answers to your specific questions is to contact [URL="http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/611.cfm"]Children's Services[/URL], the government agency that handles adoption. I know that there are income requirements and you would have to show that you have enough income to support a child. Whether or not that is without AISH payments you are on, I don't know.
Regarding age and length of marriage, I believe that is decided on a case by case basis. I know that those living single or common law can apply to adopt (and do adopt) so I wouldn't see that length of marriage would be a deterrent.
Advertisements