Advertisements
Advertisements
DD snores... Not the cute "aw, look how tired she is" kind of snoring. But if she were married, a "kick out the bed" type of snoring.
Well, we had a rough day today and I just decided to rock her to sleep - to reconnect after a day of whining and fussing at each other all day. Well, I didn't realize just how bad her snoring was until it was right in my lap! I had my iphone next to me, so I even videotaped it for her doctor.
It appears to me as though she stops breathing at points, and then sort of gasps for air and settles back to her LOUD snoring. She does have a bit of a cold, but still...
When I put her down to bed, I propped her up a bit on her toddler size pillows. Granted, I read that almost 90% of folks stop breathing during the night (according to a random google search), but I'm thinking a call to the doc is in order? Agree?
It just sort of freaked me out... She's 2.5 and I spoke to her bmom who indicated that DD's bio siblings also snore loudly.
Thoughts?
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Morning can't come fast enough! I'll be calling the doc first thing... Thanks again.
Advertisements
Add another to sleep apnea and tonsils/adenoids.
DS just had his surgery in Feb and the 1st week, I would have to put my hand on his chest while sleeping to see if he was breathing, it was that dramatic of a difference!
Wow! My daughter has had several doctors comment on her HUGE tonsils and ask "Does she snore?" To which I say YES... and they just tell me.... well, if it becomes a problem, let us know.
I guess its problem, in and of itself!!!
First available appt was 6/14.
For those that have been through this, if DD has to have surgery (yikes!) how long does it last? What is recovery like? Will she be in pain?
Sounds like she might need her tonsils and adenoids out. Usual recovery time is two weeks, but she will be so much better afterwards.
Advertisements
Hi, two of my sons went through this! THe first one was only 2 when he went under for surgery, the procedure lasted 15 mins. another 10 for recovery and then I got to see him! We stayed overnight at the hospital because he was so young. He had a lot of complications and it was not fun! We actually had to go back in for an emergency procedure because of excessive bleeding! Though when all was said and done he was perfectly normal in three weeks. My Second son was 5 when he had it done and they kept him overnight just in case (since his brother had so many issues) we should have went home. He was fine in less than 30 mins. a little tired the first day, but fine! I had to fight to keep him off of his feet and to keep him on a soft diet, but he was normal the first day!
Didn't read all replies but sleep apnea and adenoids are a def. problem that leave kids very tired. E also had a chonic "night cough" and again upon awakening. He was very junky every morning. Thank goodness that resolved on it's own without surgery!
Fe2002
Well, we had a rough day today and I just decided to rock her to sleep - to reconnect after a day of whining and fussing at each other all day. Well, I didn't realize just how bad her snoring was until it was right in my lap! I had my iphone next to me, so I even videotaped it for her doctor.
Thoughts?
Sleep Apnea comes to mind, get her to an ENT.
And I am not sure what you mean by 'rough' day but sleep apnea is linked to behavior problems in children. It is due to the lack of sleep among other things I believe.
[url=http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071015193516.htm]Tonsillectomy Associated With Improved Sleep And Behavior In Children With Breathing Disorders[/url]
angelkisses0102
My DS had obstructive sleep apnea caused by huge tonsils and adenoids. At age 30 months he had the tonsils and adenoids out...the snoring stopped and he finally started sleeping thru the night!!! (Yes, he still was not sleeping thru the night at age 2.5...talk about sleep deprivation!)
My nephew had his T&A at age 7 in first grade....then slept thru the night for the FIRST time the following week. My sister could finally get a decent night's sleep, well except for the fact that she also had a baby by then to keep her up.
Advertisements
The first available appt is 6/14... so that's when I will have what I suspect to be sleep apnea due to her adenoids will be confirmed.
I'm already preparing myself mentally for her to have surgery... eeek!
Tonsils were fine, but her adenoids are a 3.5 out of 4 (meaning the level of obstruction). I think I have that right...
I showed the doctor the video tape of her snoring and she didn't seem all that impressed. DD doesn't have the classic symptoms of being fussy during the day on a regular basis and she does sleep thru the night. So I'm a little conflicted if I should put her thru the surgery. I'm thinking that particular day maybe she had cold, or was reacting to the pollen... I don't know.
I've been listening to her sleep over the past week and the snoring is not as loud as the day I rocked her to sleep and I can't really hear her through a closed door. Yes, the doctor asked if I could hear her through a closed door...
So, I'm leaning towards no surgery although this is sure to annoy the heck out of DD's future husband!
Advertisements
Just wanted to say if you do the surgery make sure they take both the tonsils and the adenoids. When I was younger (3rd grade) I have to have my adenoids out but the doctor didn't take the tonsils because "I don't want to remove a perfectly healthy set of tonsils". Then 5 years later, I have to go back to get my tonsils out in a separate surgery. Double the pain and double the cost to do 2 surgeries.....boy that doctor was a pain!
IF your DD is a mouth breather I would reconsider the surgery. My oldest snored and ALWAYS had her mouth hanging open. She did not sleep all that great either!! She had her tonsils and adnoids removed when she was 6. Fast forward a couple years to when it was time to go to the orthodontist. He knew just from looking at her that she had been a mouth breather. It bought us a couple extra mths in braces!
The surgery is NOT bad at all. My daughter never took pain meds and was eating and acting like her reg. self within 24hrs. It is an outpatient procedure.