Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay, at the risk of sounding really stupid, I've been wanting to ask this question. Obviously it's to preserve some measure of anonymity, but many times people will use their child's initials when they also have their child's picture as their avatar, which would seem to defeat that purpose. Plus also many people asked me to post what I had named my new baby, which surprised me after I had become accustomed to people using their kids' initials instead of their names - which I assumed was in order to not put their kids' actual names out there. (I didn't mind - I couldn't wait to tell people his name because I just love the name - but that surprised me and made me wonder about the initials issue.)
So is there some other reason for using your children's initials rather than their names? Other than privacy issues? Or is that basically the only reason why? Just curious, and since I just posted another thread, I thought I'd take a moment to ask this too!
JenC
Was it this thread Crick said something about being able to delete old pics but not posts? I went and found my attachments, and holy crap, 12 people downloaded the finalization pic I posted, among other downloads. I wiped them all out. No more attachments. Creepy. And I was even weirded out enough to change my avatar.
So, I just checked my attachments. I periodically delete them, but never checked downloads. I had 5 photos attached. Three had no downloads, but one an 199 downloads and another had 202. Can that be right?!
Advertisements
I was the one who mentioned deleting pictures. (Though I guess being mistaken for Crick isn't the worst thing. I think . . . . ;) )
My understanding about the downloads thing is it is the number of people who clicked on it to view it, not necessarily lifted it off the site, but I may be wrong. I will try to get Brandy or Crick to clarify this.
Downloads are what happens when you post a picture and for whatever reason, the person looking at the thread doesn't see the picture, they just see a link...or the picture is 'small' and clicking it will make it larger.
It happens from time to time when someone has their security settings within their browser set to high.
However, I want to point out anyone/everyone - regardless of their registration on the site - can right click and save your picture to their hard drive.
Every single thing you post on these forums is for public consumption (except Private Messages). This site is NOT private - anyone can join.
It's easy to 'forget' how open this site is - but remember, you found us somehow and that was likely via a search engine :)
I was wondering if the downloads involves clicking on the attachment to see if we can see the picture bigger than what is on here....sometimes to condence it, the pictures become really tiny....
I know I did that once, but I deleted it and trashed it after looking at it....but I don't think it was your son JenC.
Thanks, Debbie. I know my kid is cute and all, but it seems weird to me that 200 people would want to download his picture. But I also thought that you could see it just by viewing the thread - without clicking on it. So I would like to know what that number means.
Dannie - That makes sense.
Advertisements
I'm going to find some examples - give me a second.
But a good rule of thumb is, if you see Attached Thumbnails in the text surrounding your image - it can be clicked to make it larger - or in a sense "downloaded".
Alright - here is an example: [url]http://forums.adoption.com/1777810-post16.html[/url]
If you click on that, you'll get a post I made a while back with three pictures of my cats.
They're thumbnails - you can click on them and make them bigger. If you do click and make them bigger, it will count as a 'download'.
If you have images that aren't showing as thumbs and they have a download count, it's likely due to browser security of a viewer (who has to click a link) or because someone did right click and "view image".
OakShannon
Thanks, Debbie. I know my kid is cute and all, but it seems weird to me that 200 people would want to download his picture. But I also thought that you could see it just by viewing the thread - without clicking on it. So I would like to know what that number means.
Dannie - That makes sense.
LOL! I just checked mine and my family picture has 300 and some! So I sure understand the weird feeling since I was not positive of the answer. And we are not all that cute! ;)
We have bumped to a new page, but Brandy did explain on the previous page.
Advertisements
See, you all I trust...now whether I should or not is a different matter! ;) But yeah, like Brandy said - you don't know who is looking at this site!
LOL....yeah I don't even post pictures of my cute kid ;) and I still had 39 downloads of the picture of my dad and I and my dog and i.....ok seriously? we're not that cute. :D
DannieAS
LOL....yeah I don't even post pictures of my cute kid ;) and I still had 39 downloads of the picture of my dad and I and my dog and i.....ok seriously? we're not that cute. :D
Now watch that number skyrocket as we all go check out how cute you guys are. ;)
DPline
Now watch that number skyrocket as we all go check out how cute you guys are. ;)
LOL LOL LOL ;)
Advertisements
I don't post my kids' names, or my name, or Dh's ... or my friends' or ANYTHING that might be traceable. I've even changed genders and other info to maintain privacy. This is, after all, the WORLD wide web. I also don't post pictures, but mostly because I have a difficult time attempting to do that!! LOL
I'm always amazed at how much info people put out there about themselves and their family. On FB it's especially scary. I mean, they have pictures, full and complete names, full birth dates, etc. For instance, "After 59 hours of excruciating labor and an epidural my little SuSanna BoBanna FoFanna Smith was born on Junerary 37, 2179, right here in River City!! Happy Birthday to my special little girl!!", posted along with a complete line of pictures of the house (with house number), the family pets, the car (with license plate), full face shots of all the kids.... And they have 1497 Friends. :eek:
So I'm a little paranoid! :evilgrin:
OT Momat41 I sent you a pm a while ago and never got a response. Please check your inbox. Thank you.