Advertisements
Advertisements
I did a grueling Graduate program full time while working full time.....the day I graduated with my M.S. was the happiest day of my life and if I could have done cartwheels, skated down, I totally would have. Swore that this was it.
Now recently, spring time, the air of pomp & circumstance totally gives me itchy feet for more....while not horrifically running towards the Doctorate route, I"m slightly leaning to go for it in the future, I have plenty of thesis statements rolling around in my mind for a while now....of course it will be later since I now have L and I don't want to take unnecessary time away....but does this happen to any of you?
Edited for stupid typos....didn't sleep very well last night and the first thing to go is always my spelling. LOL
crick
I know, I know...I'm the party pooper of higher education!;)
um no you're not....you answered my question....you DON'T get the itch. I love school just not the cost.
While the narcissistic side of me wants to go back to where I graduated from with my M.S. because they do a really nice hooding ceremony on Doctoral candidates/graudates while reading the abstract of their paper/project, the practical side is thinking doing online at a school that will let me, go into the school when I'm working on my Doctoral thesis every so often and just show up for graduation....less costly I believe....that's how one of my co-workers did it.
I'm so social, yet love to learn random things even within normal subjects. It's why I love my field....i'm never bored. And yes I am working today, it's just the end of the school year and I'm typing up progress reports, tearing down my classroom, calling kids in to make sure where they will be next year if they know and making my schedule for next year....and checking a.com every 5 min.
Advertisements
I sure do. For the past 2 years I have wanted to finish nursing school, but it's next to impossible with such a sick child. I did a year of nursing school before I got married and really enjoyed it. Plus I have learned SO much with Cameron, I know I'd do fine. I took one online class last fall before Cameron got really sick again. As long as he stays stable this summer, my plan is to take another online class this fall. I'll just keep going one class at a time until I'm ready for clinicals.
I had that itch and recently decide to scratch it. I enrolled in a program which has been going well and works out perfectly with baby N's schedule.
Nope! Not me!!! I'm a registered nurse and that was enough. However, I did desire more material things in life (and adopting isn't cheap!!!) so I sent DH back to school :) He had a 5 year degree in Forest Management that he wasn't even using, since we refuse to be apart, so he went back for another 6 years and now loves his job as a Pharmacist! I keep hearing him drop hints that he would like to get his medical degree, but I said "NO WAY!" He'd been a professional student if he could too.
Nora
I graduated in 2006 with an MBA and I don't know how I got through that program. I haven't even read a book since then. But now I have an itch to go to law schoold. There just aren't very many interstate adoption attornies in this area and I think it would be so rewarding to start an agency. I don't think I can pull it off and be a mommy though. But still... I have the itch.
Advertisements
Yes! I'm in a masters program right now. I was even going to try to get an assistantship for the fall, but now with the adoption waiting phase, I have no idea if I should commit to significant time away from home.
I sure do get that itch...something about new textbooks and #2 pencils.
I have been a 'professional student'. It took 4 degrees to get from a BA to an MD, and I'm thinking that maybe a masters in public health would round it all out nicely. DH says that I'm crazy.
Of course, given the tremendous education debt I have, I don't think that would be any time soon. However, if my job was willing to send me, I might consider it.
In the meanwhile, I do check out videos of lectures online. There are a lot of great courses that are available, and the best part is NO STUDYING!!
I've also been thinking about going back to school. There is no way I could swing it right now until all of my children are in school.
Also, it sickens me to go into debt to do so. It took me 8 years to pay off my student loans...not sure I'm willing to go there again.
Dannie- I'm with you!
I worked so hard and long to finish my Master's, that service was a glorious day for me.
It was 96-unit degree and I had done one year half-time when I was diagnosed with cancer and had to drop out. I spent the next 2 yrs getting married and becoming an instant mom, doing a year of cancer treatment, being pregnant and having little J. I had all but given up on the idea of finishing.
When Little J had just been born, I came home and DH told me he had contacted the school and asked them to send me the re-application, and he'd listed his TR6 convertible for sale, which he figured would cover at least half of the tuition.
I re-started when Little J was 2 months old and spent the next 6 yrs doing one class at a time, year-round, and finished right at the deadline for my degree. I was SO happy and proud on graduation day!
But yeah...every now and then I think about going back for that PhD. The "hitch" for me is the dissertation. I HATE writing papers. I would love the classwork, but I would absolutely agonize over the dissertation. But if I ever want to get out of adjunct-land and get on the tenure track, I need that degree.
I'm not there yet, but I might be someday. I haven't given up on the idea. I've always wanted to be able to get my dad a Tshirt that says "both my daughters are doctors"...he'd get a kick out of it.
Advertisements
I always wanted my PhD. If it weren't for the loans, I'd be in a program now. I can see myself being back in school eventually though. I love to learn and am quite the paper writing, test taker!
I am in school now and loving it. The best part is that I get to spend time with my darling child and I don't have to use any school loans!! God is a God of miracles.
I'm an RN and have an Associate's Degree with a few classes towards a bachelor's. I love school; I've always wanted to be a "perennial matriculator" I love the sound of that better than "professional student" lol. I would absolutely love to be a psychiatric nurse practitioner but it simply is not practical for me to spend that kind of money if I cannot work full time.
I've also thought about a certification in legal nurse consulting because that is a job I could do from home with the assistance of a fax machine. I'm also working diligently on my book about my MI journey and if that turns out okay, I may write another about infertility and the joys of open adoption. I would love to take some writing classes too to improve my writing skills for my book.
I guess I'm kind of all over the place in what I want to accomplish. I love to write and I love to nurse. I have enjoyed being a SAHM, but someday Joshie will be in school full time and I will need something to occupy me and mentally challenge me. Oh, the possiblities!
Blessings, Michelle
Advertisements
I am with loveajx...would totally be a professional student if I could. I also wanted to go back to get my MS in Library Science, but never got around to doing it. (our libraries are packed around here!...plus, you can do more than just be a regular librarian...I was into archival, thought it would suit my need for quiet and lone responsibility).
Anyway, last summer a catalog came from our local community college, so I thumbed through it. Human Services stuck out at me, so I went for an orientation, and realized what I wanted to be when I grew up...an Addictions Counselor. :)
So, I started back to school last summer, and am taking my last class right now for my certificate. Getting my application ready for grad school now too. It's been really tough, we took placement of DD back in February. We were told a one to three year wait last December, so imagine my shock and terror at being placed in less than two months AND taking five classes and an internship!! lol:arrow:
My ego wants to some day get that Ph.D :evilgrin:
Yes!
I love to learn and now I'm FINALLY getting my MA. For those of you who are MD's and want to pursue an MPH in Public Health , its is a great ideal. Many MD's, when they become burnt-out, switch to become administrators. Like nurses, when they become burnt out, they become department heads or Deans in schools of nursing
-Manni :flower: