Advertisements
Advertisements
I have an 8yr old FD who is suppose to wear glasses. Apparently they were lost in a previous foster home and she has been without them for several months(I assume due to being moved around so much). I know very little about what or how medicaid pays for glasses or how often they will pay to replace them. What is the protocol for lost or broken beyond repair? Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially since I don't know who the eye dr is and have to start with a new one. On top of that I don't wear glasses, so the whole eye exam process is new to me.
Thanks
I believe if you contact an eye doc that accepts medicaid patients.Explain the situation They sould be able to run FD's number and see if they would approve new ones. It seems to me if the child is a ward of the state.. and needs glasses, they would have to. But then I dont make the rules. I have wished many times I did! ( you would then be granted the new glasses!)
Or.. call medicaid office. I know that may take a while to get an answer though.
Advertisements
Medicaid will cover a complete brand new pair of glasses one time and replace them one time in a year. If she hasn't seen an eye doctor in 9 months, for instance, and medicaid buys her a new pair of replacement glasses now, she will have wait another 12 months for new glasses... even if at her next eye exam in 3 months, she should get a stronger Rx.
Hope that helps. I would call her eye doctor and find out when she's been seen last and when or if she's already used up her replacement pair of glasses. Then you can make a decision on where to go from there.
Seems like DCS would have to pay if Medicaid won't for some reason.
Here, medicaid will pay for one eye exam and pair of glasses per year. If the glasses break within that year,(and it is not due to purposely mishandling), then they will replace them. Only certain frames are allowed to choose from unless you want to pay the difference for a certain frame. If it has been less than a year, that medicaid won't pay, then your worker could file for a medical need not covered by insurance which you would have to pay but would get reimbursed upon giving them a receipt.