Advertisements
Advertisements
So im wondering if it pays to start pumping even though i havent received my Dom or my herbs??? I just got the breastpump from my SIL today. Im hoping my Dom will be here soon, im getting a bit concerned, i ordered it on the 11th. Anyways, should i wait to start pumping or is it any benefit to starting it now? I dont have much time, so im hoping that i can get into this full swing in the next few days. Any thoughts?? Thanks, Rach
RACHEL
I think you can go either way ...
- start pumping now and start Dom when you get it, start with 40 mg per day, work up to 80-120mg
or
- wait for your BCPs, take those and Dom until you see breast changes, then ditch the BCPs and start pumping
I really don't think it's advisable to do BCP and pump. You can always email Lenore on the asklenore site.
Advertisements
thanks, im skipping the BCP's. i dont have time to take them. Baby is expected to arrive in about 28 days. or maybe less than that. So im not taking the BCP's and hoping that the Dom and herbs and pumping will be enough to get something going. Im not too optimistic though....
I would email Lenore and ask her. She's usually pretty quick in getting back to you. With that short of a time frame I'm not sure how much you'll actually get, but even if its drops it's something and you can always use a lact-aid. It will all be worth it!
Where you have so little time, it would be fine to start pumping now, if you want to, although not necessary. Just don't get discouraged if you don't see anything until after the dom comes and you have been on it for a week or so. In the "old days", when there were no medications to take and only breast stimulation to start lactation, lots of moms pumped in advance. Few saw more than drops from that and many got discouraged and gave up before they even got their babies, thinking that what they had seen from a pump was what all they could produce for a baby. I had a similar experience, with my first baby. I hadn't even seen a breast pump before he was born, let alone pumped in advance, but a LLL leader sold me a cylinder hand pump, a few days after we got him. I thought I wasn't producing any milk at all for him because I couldn't get so much as a droplet from the hand pump. I didn't know about hand expression yet. Looking back, I am sure that I really was producing some milk for him, judging by the breast changes I had, and my experiences with later children. Had I known that, I think I could have found the courage to keep going longer, with him.
Anyway, sorry about the tangeant, but I corresponded with lots of moms, back in the 90s, who had pumped in advance, without domperidone. The general consensus was that pumping didn't usually create a milk supply, but was still beneficial. One way was in breast preparation, for being able to nurse without nipple problems when the baby got there, and the other was that moms felt that their milk probably came in a bit faster, once the baby came, than it would have if they hadn't pumped.
In the time you have, I would go ahead and start the pumping, but start out easily, and increase gradually. Some moms don't need it, but others can get very sore with a pump if they start out with too much too soon. Nipple and areolar tissue can become very elastic, but trying to increase that too fast can do damage and set you back. Bio moms generally don't need it because theirs enlarge and become more elastic from the hormones of pregnancy.
I have also found it important to lubricate the breast with something for pumping. Once you can hand express drops of milk, the best thing to is to express a few drops and rub it around. Before that, you can use an unscented, hypoallergenic cream or lotion, or just water.
Have you ordered a Lact-Aid kit? You can nurse exclusively with that, whether you need to supplement a lot or a little. With most of my kids, I had very little notice, like just a few days, or even less than 24 hours. I just started out cold nursing with a Lact-Aid. I produced about 12 ounces a day of milk, just from doing that. When I added herbs, with my fifth baby, I was able to up that to about 16 ounces a day.
Please post your progress here and good luck with the placement! Is the baby a boy or girl?
Noelani
PS
What kind of herbs are you getting?
noelani2
Where you have so little time, it would be fine to start pumping now, if you want to, although not necessary. Just don't get discouraged if you don't see anything until after the dom comes and you have been on it for a week or so. In the "old days", when there were no medications to take and only breast stimulation to start lactation, lots of moms pumped in advance. Few saw more than drops from that and many got discouraged and gave up before they even got their babies, thinking that what they had seen from a pump was what all they could produce for a baby. I had a similar experience, with my first baby. I hadn't even seen a breast pump before he was born, let alone pumped in advance, but a LLL leader sold me a cylinder hand pump, a few days after we got him. I thought I wasn't producing any milk at all for him because I couldn't get so much as a droplet from the hand pump. I didn't know about hand expression yet. Looking back, I am sure that I really was producing some milk for him, judging by the breast changes I had, and my experiences with later children. Had I known that, I think I could have found the courage to keep going longer, with him.
Anyway, sorry about the tangeant, but I corresponded with lots of moms, back in the 90s, who had pumped in advance, without domperidone. The general consensus was that pumping didn't usually create a milk supply, but was still beneficial. One way was in breast preparation, for being able to nurse without nipple problems when the baby got there, and the other was that moms felt that their milk probably came in a bit faster, once the baby came, than it would have if they hadn't pumped.
In the time you have, I would go ahead and start the pumping, but start out easily, and increase gradually. Some moms don't need it, but others can get very sore with a pump if they start out with too much too soon. Nipple and areolar tissue can become very elastic, but trying to increase that too fast can do damage and set you back. Bio moms generally don't need it because theirs enlarge and become more elastic from the hormones of pregnancy.
I have also found it important to lubricate the breast with something for pumping. Once you can hand express drops of milk, the best thing to is to express a few drops and rub it around. Before that, you can use an unscented, hypoallergenic cream or lotion, or just water.
Have you ordered a Lact-Aid kit? You can nurse exclusively with that, whether you need to supplement a lot or a little. With most of my kids, I had very little notice, like just a few days, or even less than 24 hours. I just started out cold nursing with a Lact-Aid. I produced about 12 ounces a day of milk, just from doing that. When I added herbs, with my fifth baby, I was able to up that to about 16 ounces a day.
Please post your progress here and good luck with the placement! Is the baby a boy or girl?
Noelani
PS
What kind of herbs are you getting?
Ive had a change of plans in the last day or so. My Dom came today and i talked to the lactation consultant and she thinks it will be beneficial to go on the BCP even though it will only be 30 days. So the DOm and BCP together, she thinks i shoudl get significant breast changes with this protocol. Since im not sure if i can nurse during the revocation period (which is 30 days), im going to do the BCP and by the time im done with that the baby should be born, and i can start pumping and hopefully get some milk before i try and nurse.
Im going to be using Fenugreek and blessed thistle. i just have to get them yet. Im borrowing my SIL's breastpump, and its a really expensive good one, so that's good. The LC said even if i bottle feed the baby for the first month, if i come and see her when we have the baby, she thinks we have a good shot at getting him to nurse. So, i was feeling kinda down about the whole thing, but now things are falling in place and i started the protocal today. Thanks, Rachel
ps- its a boy!!!
Advertisements
Thanks for that thorough response, Noelani! It helps because I'm planning on Dom with herbs and no bcp, too.
My husband and I are adopting a baby that is due in a little over 6 weeks from now. We were pre-matched, so this has come as a surprise. All that to say, I want to do the fast track protocol but have only just started today!
I'm waiting on my Dom to come in the mail and will start pumping then. In the meantime, I'm going off caffeine and have started drinking Mother's Milk tea and taking Fenugreek. I want to start on Goat's Rue and Blessed Thistle, too, but have not found any at the healthfood store yet. I need to keep looking.
I'm REALLY hoping that this will work for me. I hope that 6 weeks worth of pumping, taking Dom and the herbs will at least get me a little milk coming in. I plan on supplementing with my Lact-aid. I'm glad those of you who've done this say it's worth it, because it sure seems like a lot of work!! This is my first adoption and I'm really excited about breastfeeding.
I guess I need to learn how to hand express... any more suggestions?
Hi again! Have you gotten started on the dom and pumping yet? It is very likely that you will be producing at least a few ounces by the time the baby is due. Even a tiny bit provides protection against disease. I believe that our adopted babies have even more to gain from the immune factors in their adoptive mothers' milk than babies who remain with their birth mothers because the maternals stores of antibodies they are born with are specific to their birth mothers' environment, rather than the environments they are raised in.
I hope things go well with this placement. I am sure you miss the foster children an awful lot!
Darillyn
My dom has not come in the mail yet!!! I'm so frustrated. I had planned on starting on it last week, but I got home from my trip out of town and it still had not arrived. The due date is now a little over 4 weeks away, and besides going off caffeine, haven't done much preparation. :(
I tracked my package on the USPS website and it says it's been delivered to me, but I don't have it. I'm going to the PO tomorrow to see what's going on. Maybe I should just order more in the mean time? I was hoping to start on it by now.
My plan was to start pumping after I start dom, then start the herbs after I see any milk supply come in, no matter how small. So I guess I just have to wait now! :hissy:
Thanks for the encouragement, Darilyn. I quote you to my husband all the time. It's so nice to hear from someone who's been there, done that. I'm glad that whether or not I have any success with the dom and herbs, etc, I should still have success using the lact-aid. Here's hoping!!
Goodluck to all of you!! I can't wait to nurse my baby. I'm so glad that as an adoptive mom, I can!
Sarah, how are things going now? I apologize for taking a whole week to reply. Has your domperidone arrived yet? One thing I just thought of that I found helpful, by way of preparation, was to use a pump just to help increase the elasticity of the nipple/areola area. I did that during the ten days between the time we were told about Thomas, and when he was discharged from the NICU and we could bring him home. I'd had a great deal of nipple damage and pain with my first baby, starting out with no preparation, and that was one of the problems that contributed to my limited success with him. I started out at low suction, just for a few minutes, until it started to get just slightly irritating. I increased the suction and the amount of time, gradually, and it made a huge difference. I also wore a nursing bra with the flaps down.
I remember what one mom wrote to me, once, about how nice it was to be able to nurse her adopted baby. She said, "You can give anyone's baby a bottle, but you only nurse your own!" I am sure anyone whose path to motherhood has been exceptionally long and painful can relate!
Advertisements
noelani2
Sarah, how are things going now? I apologize for taking a whole week to reply. Has your domperidone arrived yet? One thing I just thought of that I found helpful, by way of preparation, was to use a pump just to help increase the elasticity of the nipple/areola area. I did that during the ten days between the time we were told about Thomas, and when he was discharged from the NICU and we could bring him home. I'd had a great deal of nipple damage and pain with my first baby, starting out with no preparation, and that was one of the problems that contributed to my limited success with him. I started out at low suction, just for a few minutes, until it started to get just slightly irritating. I increased the suction and the amount of time, gradually, and it made a huge difference. I also wore a nursing bra with the flaps down.
I remember what one mom wrote to me, once, about how nice it was to be able to nurse her adopted baby. She said, "You can give anyone's baby a bottle, but you only nurse your own!" I am sure anyone whose path to motherhood has been exceptionally long and painful can relate!
I started pumping this morning for the first time and i had to turn the pump down to the lowest setting for speed and suction. It felt okay at first but now it kinda hurts. And i dont want to rush it, but on the other hand baby will forsure be here in a week. (they wont let her go past 41 weeks) so by next Wednesday we will have him home or possibly before then. I hope my Lact-aid comes pretty soon. I ordered it today. I am just hoping that in a week there is some sorta sign that its working and i have any kinda of drops of milk. Rach
It you put gentle tension on the skin, the cells will proliferate where, if you injure it, it will produce scar tissue so, while it may seem that going at it harder would help more, it could really work against you. The most important thing you can do in a short time is help make it so that you can spend lots of time nursing the baby without pain.
Have you gotten the domperidone yet? Unless you have started taking dom, I wouldn't expect to see more than maybe droplets from less than a week of pumping. You might, but just don't get worried if you don't.
Good luck getting through the coming week! The days you spend waiting to get the call saying the baby is born can seem to be a month long, each!
noelani2
It you put gentle tension on the skin, the cells will proliferate where, if you injure it, it will produce scar tissue so, while it may seem that going at it harder would help more, it could really work against you. The most important thing you can do in a short time is help make it so that you can spend lots of time nursing the baby without pain.
Have you gotten the domperidone yet? Unless you have started taking dom, I wouldn't expect to see more than maybe droplets from less than a week of pumping. You might, but just don't get worried if you don't.
Good luck getting through the coming week! The days you spend waiting to get the call saying the baby is born can seem to be a month long, each!
yes, ive been on Dom for 30 days now. I figured that i should take it easy for the first few days on the pump cuz i really dont want to mess this up just cuz i was impatient! Thanks for the advice, Rachel