Advertisements
Advertisements
We're an open DHS home in Arkansas, but we haven't had a placement yet. I recently sent out emails to several nearby states, and Texas was the only one that replied. They had me register on a couple of websites and send my homestudy to TARE. The person who answered my email said that there were quite a few children in Texas. We're hoping to adopt a girl up to around age 8. Should we get our hopes up or will this just likely be another fruitless waiting game for us?
What I was told in PRIDE training was that any healthy children under age 10 are typically snatched up immediately or kept by the foster parents. You can always get lucky, but I would strongly suspect that any child under 8 will have many homes applying for them. So it might not be impossible, but it probably won't be quick to get a match either.
A positive for Texas is that the child can go to college for free in the state! I think a lot of people have caught onto that though because it seems like young, healthy children here just fly off of TARE.
Advertisements
There is a gi-hugeous thread on adopting from TX. If you read it all (and if you're waiting I've no doubt you will!), it has a ton of advice and specifics about dealing with TX.
It's here:
[url]http://forums.adoption.com/foster-care-adoption-what-like/369811-people-hoping-adopt-tx.html[/url]
If that doesn't work for any reason, just reply.
This gal seems to have tons of great advice:
txwannabemom
Have you looked at the TARE site yet? Boy, some of those children look pretty sweet!
alys1
There is a gi-hugeous thread on adopting from TX. If you read it all (and if you're waiting I've no doubt you will!), it has a ton of advice and specifics about dealing with TX.
It's here:
[url]http://forums.adoption.com/foster-care-adoption-what-like/369811-people-hoping-adopt-tx.html[/url]
If that doesn't work for any reason, just reply.
This gal seems to have tons of great advice:
txwannabemom
Have you looked at the TARE site yet? Boy, some of those children look pretty sweet!
Thanks!
I adopted my dd when she had just turned 7 from TARE! check it everyday. When it changes...the kids don't aways stay up long. I was licensed in June and had her home by the end of August. Tx has tons of waiting kids, please adopt some! :cheer:
Flonkerton... I just read that there are 6,000 waiting children in TX. Wow! What age(s) are you thinking? And 1 or 2 or... ?
txwannabemom (or, tx-sure-i-am-mom now!) -- did you find my post by the thread topic? Or some software miracle?
I wish they'd put more of those 6000 kids up on the website. Well....as if I need MORE children/sibling groups bookmarked! :)
Advertisements
alys1
Flonkerton... I just read that there are 6,000 waiting children in TX. Wow! What age(s) are you thinking? And 1 or 2 or... ?
txwannabemom (or, tx-sure-i-am-mom now!) -- did you find my post by the thread topic? Or some software miracle?
We are hoping for a girl up to age 8. Thanks for all the advice everybody!
I found it by checkingmy "regular" threads! LOL I like to check tx, fost/adopt, & special needs. So I just happened to come accross it. :)
Another thing to do is to call the head of Foster Adoption Departments (FAD) in each region and let them know you want to be considered for kids, and ask for them to take your info. Follow up by sending a short bio to them and you will have put yourself in the line of sight BEFORE they go up on TARE.
That's a great idea about making individual contact. Here they tell us, if possible, to make contact with SWs because they have many children in their file. I did that with a gal in adoption placement in my county: I asked her if we could go out to lunch when she did a presentation at my fos-adopt support group. I wanted her to get a sense of who I was, not the dry facts on my paperwork. (I might've rejected myself if I didn't meet myself, IYKWIM.) Couple months later I had a placement. May I add that she said that couple months be4, 2 boys who *exactly* fit what I was looking for were sent out of county "because we couldn't find anyone who wanted them." Yikes.
AR/TX may make the face-to-face meeting impossible, but *anything* you can do that makes you more real to the workers/supervisors is important.
Flonkerton, do you have a set of pictures of your home/kids room/ family/extended family /nearby park/nearby neat things to do? Pics of you all with kids? I glued some pics on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, with captions, then made multiple color photo copies. Maybe 4-8 pics/page, 2-3 pages. Or these days, I suppose one could print it out, ha! If you have something like that, you could *mail* that to the FAD heads. That makes you as real as possible.
It also shows that you're motivated, you're willing to spend effort and a bit of $$ on the process.