Advertisements
Advertisements
This is what I filed in Lubbock county to do adoption of stepchildren. We already had the relinquishment competed in 2000, so I did not include that in this form. I will add documents as I go through the process.
1) Petition for Adoption of Stepchildren (2 copies)
2) Affidavit for Section 152.209 (2 copies)
3) Affidavit Concerning Interstate Compact (2 copies)
4) Consent for Adoption by Minor Children (2 copies)
5) Motion for Social Study for Adoption (3 copies)
The filing fees were $244.00
A social study is required by all Texas courts. The request for the social study is included in the Original Petition. You should find out who you want because the Court does not do it automatically. I selected who we wanted and added it into the Petition.
When submitting these documents, be sure to take enough copies. 1 Original for the courts, 1 for your records and 2 copies of the Motion for Social Study (1 for court, 1 for you and 1 to mail to social worker).
Once you get your case number and court, you will take your Motion for Social Study (all 3 copies) and have the clerk sign it (or their Judge). Once the Judge signs it, go back to the clerks office and file it. They will send a copy to the social worker.
Then be sure to request your criminal background check. Make sure they know it's for an adoption. The results should be sent to the Court. I had my done by L-1 Enrollment Services ([url=http://www.l1enrollment.com/state/?st=tx)]L-1 Identity Solutions, L1, livescan, fingerprint, fingerprinting, enrollment[/url]. It cost me $24.95 and the prints are done electronically.
LUBBOCK
THE SUMMIT PLACE
3417 73RD, SUITE B2, LUBBOCK TX
I'll add more as we continue through the process.
Advertisements
I received my criminal background check last week in the mail. They apparently do not mail it directly to the courthouse. I made a copy and took it the same day to have it file marked.
Before that I contacted the courthouse and found that they DO NOT send a copy of the Order for Social Study for you, you have to do it on your own. I sent a certified, return receipt copy of the social study to the person we selected. That is all we have left!
Once that is done, I'll update here...
My husband is adopting my daughter whos birth fathers rights are already terminated...do you happen to have the correct forms we need?
Advertisements
How do we go about finding someone to complete the social study in Lubbock County? I have read that it is the petitioners responsibility to find someone to complete it in Lubbock county.
I know this was from years ago, but was the step parent adoption successful? I sure hope so! I am in the process of one myself and my husband is trying to adopt my kids. We decided to go with rapidadoption.com because I am so clueless about everything and they are walking me through the process. Did you need a lawyer? So far we are not using a lawyer but if we get a problem with their bio dad then I might have to fork the money out for one. Let me know!