Advertisements
Advertisements
I think I'm getting the wrong information but I'm not sure. We are adopting our FD soon after her 1st birthday and she will not qualify for any assistance. I was told by her CW and our CW that she would get college tuition. I've been reading and everywhere I've read it says only for kids adopted who received the assistance. I'm thinking she wouldn't get anything but they've told us over and over again that the only thing she will get is college. Anyone have any insight?
Unfortunately, they have to receive subsidy to get the college tuition.
Q: If a person did not receive a subsidy, does the person qualify?
A: No, if a person didn't receive a subsidy, the person does not qualify.
[url=http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/Preparation_For_Adult_Living/pal-faq-assistance.asp]DFPS - Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) Program[/url]
Advertisements
I was also told by an adoption worker that any child adopted from foster care would get college paid for - a new law in effect 2011.
I only know about TX & have been looking for it in writing, haven't found it yet but was told it just passed 9/10 effective 2011.
bethy724
I only know about TX & have been looking for it in writing, haven't found it yet but was told it just passed 9/10 effective 2011.
I just found it!
In Texas, they now get the tuition if:
ADOPTED YOUTH
Adoption occurred on or after September 1, 2009; OR
Adopted and the subject of an adoption assistance agreement for monthly financial assistance and Medicaid
[url]http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/documents/Child_Protection/pdf/1002.doc[/url]
So it's any kids adopted from foster care on/after 9/1/09, or any with a subsidy agreement before that.
Advertisements
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I do remember them saying something about it was a new law. I just needed to know what to plan for college so I could start saving now.
Thank you so much for the link! I am thrilled. We sued DFPS to keep Libby and were given PMC just a few weeks before her second birthday. Parental rights had already been terminated and we are in the process of finaizing her adoption privately. I need to make a few call cause it looks like she might get free college since we were give PMC. Kinda wondering if that will change when we adoptt her
Hi. I was wondering if there has been any updated information regarding college tuition for either of you. We are adopting a 21 month old caucasian in TX and he does not qualify for any subsidy, so I thought he didn't qualify for college tuition expenses either. Reading this thread makes me wonder though. Thank you!!
Yes, he'll qualify. For the free Texas tuition, the requirements now are:
Adopted and the subject of an adoption assistance agreement for monthly financial assistance and Medicaid
Advertisements
TRas
Yes, he'll qualify. For the free Texas tuition, the requirements now are:
Thanks so much for your reply, TRas! I am so confused. He is our first foster child and first adoption and I am just trying to get everything straight. Our agency also says he will qualify but today I called the "local coordinator" found at the bottom of the following link and he said that if the baby is not getting a subsidy he will not qualify. Shouldn't that guy know what he is talking about?
[url=http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/Preparation_For_Adult_Living/pal-faq-assistance.asp]DFPS - Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) Program[/url]
He should know what he's talking about, but the law changed not that long ago, so maybe he's not up to date. I didn't know it changed until this thread. Email this document to him.. [url]http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/documents/Child_Protection/pdf/1002.doc[/url] The "ADOPTED YOUTH" section in the middle column says it clearly.
My situation is my child was adopted at 6 months old 2018. Did recieve medicaid and check until then but stopped once adoption was finalized. Will he/she recieve financial assistance for college?