Advertisements
Advertisements
I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. It is only because I googled "DCS Kingsport, TN" for the phone number.
I won't go into details with my experiences with that particular system, but I will say this. I also reside in east TN, and every agency (county DCS as well as private foster agencies) were very clear up front that in TN, you can't just foster to adopt. You must be willing to endure the revolving door of children who will RU and then if and when a child placed in your home is TPRed, you will have the option to adopt that child. This is why we are not going through any of these agencies.
We are going through a private adoption agency out of Elizabethton (are we supposed to state actual agency names on here?) It is a small agency, but we are quite pleased so far. We have finished our process through that agency and are just waiting now waiting on the actual homestudy document, but it should be done very soon. :)
We have had to pay $0 up front. The fees are deferred until the adoption details are worked out. He said that most of the time they are paid by the state from which the child comes. The only catch is that the AW will tell you up front that he really can't help you adopt from TN but will work with you on out of state cases. This is a non-profit agency that also offers birth parent services and domestic infant adoptions (different story on fees) as well as some kind of surrogate grandparent services.
PM me if you want details.