Advertisements
Advertisements
I've poked around the internet for answers, but thought I would see if anyone here has had similar issues.
I filed my families 2010 taxes using H&R Block on-line, which I've used them or TurboTax without trouble for the last few years. Well, with all the new tax laws this year I ran into a new snag this year.
After filing my taxes, I only got part of my refund back this year, but none of the adoption credit. The online "Where is my refund?" website states that more information is needed. So, I poked around and learned that I needed to have included our adoption decrees with our return. Never had to do that before, but now I do. Which is fine, but it is too late.
So, I really don't want to wait for the IRS any longer than I have to. Is there a way to amend the return and/or provide the adoption decrees required more quickly?
Anyone else in this situation?
Very thankful for the new tax laws, but wish they were more clear. Or, at least, wish H&R Block would have been more clear on what was required.
My second letter said they wanted proof that we maxed out the ATC.
Do they need actual receipts?
Example, we had to travel out of state and the dates on my bank statement with plane tickets/meals/hotel/etc all fall in the trip to go take placement...... Of course, the attorney fees and adaoption agency fees are all there as well.....
Bottom line is I got a plenty to show.... just thought the bank statements showing where we made debit card purchases (like for plane tickets) should suffice?
Any thoughts?
Advertisements
Advocate for my state says to fill out the 911 form, but then it gets sent to the advocate in Georgia because the review is in Atlanta. Does this sound correct? I haven't heard anyone mention that. Sounds like the advocates in the exam office states would be bombarded?!
Spoke with our Advocate today and the IRS has closed our case and issued our refund :happydance: :banana: he said we should recieve it within 2 weeks!!! :clap:
Hello everyone, I called IRS and the person said that I have to wait until the 45 days were up from the letter they sent me. Which would be May 15th. I looked on the website this morning and it said:
Your tax refund is scheduled to be direct deposited on May 9, 2012. If your refund is not credited to your account by May 14, 2012, check with your bank to find out if it has been received. Please wait until May 14, 2012 before you contact us again because we are unable to take any action until then.
I was checking the WMR twice daily and it was driving me nuts :grr: It had been saying the same thing for about two months! When you call you get no answers, I could not get an advocate because I did not have a immediate or imminant need (according to the person I talked to.) I havent been saying anything to you all because I hadnot heard anything.
I mailed my taxes end of Jan. and they went to Fresno. I was on website four weeks later and it said they received them then it changed about four weeks later and said they were being processed. I got one letter saying to wait 45 before contact and that they would let me know. I kind of gave up because last year it was about six months. It is finally going to come!!!:dance:
I'll let you now when I get it.
Hang it there everyone!!!!
Advertisements
[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]The advocate from Atlanta called and left a message to say he's our advocate and I can call tomorrow. This was last Tuesday. I called Wednesday and left a message; haven't heard anything. Left another message this morning. The kicker is that we received an IRS letter on Saturday that said, 'we received your information (I refaxed decree and subsidy agreements to Atlanta exams) you should hear from us by July 1.' JULY 1?!?!! That's 2 1/2 months after they re-received our info (and will be 5 months since filing) and, from what I've read here, best case scenario....on July 1 they will say 8 weeks to payment, which would be September. I filed in early February. Worst case we will get another letter saying, we'll contact you in another 30 days. I amconsidering contacting my senator's office....any thoughts? :eek:
WMR says we should receive our DD May 11!!!!!!:cheer: I'll let you know when/if we actually get it.
Looks like some returns are really starting to come back!
Filed end of January via turbo tax
Received "take no action 45 day" letter April 1
Have been waiting since then and WMR just changed today, May 9 that we'll get our DD May 11
jjam67
[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]The advocate from Atlanta called and left a message to say he's our advocate and I can call tomorrow. This was last Tuesday. I called Wednesday and left a message; haven't heard anything. Left another message this morning. The kicker is that we received an IRS letter on Saturday that said, 'we received your information (I refaxed decree and subsidy agreements to Atlanta exams) you should hear from us by July 1.' JULY 1?!?!! That's 2 1/2 months after they re-received our info (and will be 5 months since filing) and, from what I've read here, best case scenario....on July 1 they will say 8 weeks to payment, which would be September. I filed in early February. Worst case we will get another letter saying, we'll contact you in another 30 days. I amconsidering contacting my senator's office....any thoughts? :eek:
We went brought this last year and got an advocate for the advocate...seriously...it was hat bad....
This year (we were blessed with 2 more additions) I wasted no time in getting an advocate (again wanting to get an advocate for the advocate because I feel this is useless) so I did write to both my Senators and Congress Rep...I had an aid call the advocacy person directly and kept me up to date with what was going on....sent immediately any additional information they requested...and now on WMR it shows may 11th as a date....3 months after they received my return.....so fingers crossed...so I guess my answer to you is YES CONTACT YOUR SENATORS AND LET THEM KNOW THIS SYSTEM IS SCREWED UP!!!...not meaning to yell at you but to any IRS personnel, advocates, and any other families who have to suffer through this after doing a wonderful thing and taking a child into your home...Best Of Luck!!!
Mini update. Called the IRS today and they said that my review was completed May 11 and that I should receive a refund notice within 6 weeks. I'm figuring it should be quicker than that based on others' experience.
My review letter was dated April 16 and I faxed documents on April 23. Mine was really clean. A domestic adoptions with an invoice that added exactly to the attached canceled checks--an auditors dream. we ended up filing in early March, later than I had hoped. Based on that, I think we are in pretty good shape. I will let all know when we actually have cash in hand.
Advertisements
It finally came in - yippee!! IRS received our return 2/17, we got multiple April and May dates on WMR until 4/16, when we got a letter dated 4/23 saying wait 45 days, do nothing. 2 weeks ago I caved and called IRS and was told we were flagged for verification to ensure no fraud or whatever, and since we had put for direct deposit, after 45 days from the notice date, it should go in. On Friday, WMR changed to show DD scheduled for 5/16, and it's in the bank now! Woohoo!!!
We were a domestic newborn adoption in 2011 - decree and BC copy attached to return, but not expense receipts. We sent our return to Fresno and didn't have to send anything else in.
We received our refund!!!!!:rockband:
We filed end of January, got the "take no action, wait 45 days" letter April 1st, and then got our refund May 11th. We never had to resend anything or send any additional info. In our original return we only sent in exactly what they asked for.
Ours was an international adoption for 2 children.
Hoping all the rest of you start to see refunds soon!!!
Hello all! I have been reading (and I think I posted once or twice) this thread, in anticipation of our long wait for the ATC :) Here's my timeline so far...
-We adopted 1 special needs foster child in 2011
-We found out in February when we tried to send our taxes that there was issue with his SSN being connected to his name, so we were in this horrible waiting game with SS. We didn't get the issue fixed until April 10, so we couldn't file before then.
- I mailed our tax return ON April 17th
- I have not even checked WMR since then, because I heard it takes at least 4 weeks to show up, and I am committed to not letting this process take over my life! haha! :)
- This morning I woke up and checked my bank account, and our non ATC tax refund was randomly there!!!! :clap:
- I was excited at first, then freaked out, thinking that meant that maybe they thought we didn't qualify for the ATC, when I know we do!
- Checked WMR this morning, and it says that we are in review, and should receive a letter asking for more information, blah blah blah... and that we "may receive part of our return"
Now, I was fully expecting to be in review, so that's not a shock. Honestly the only shock was that I received the non ATC portion before the 4 weeks was up....which gives me some (possibly false) hope that now that many other people are already in the process, they are being faster?? (A girl can dream, right?) :)
Anyway, congrats to all of you who have gotten it, and good luck to those still waiting!
Has anyone else gotten their non ATC portion so quickly?!
We got our porition of the Adoption Credit back today!
We filed our taxes at the end of Feb and a few weeks later got our regular portion of our taxes direct deposited. We got two letters, both stating that we were under review in the beginning of April and that we should not send anything in yet. Got another letter saying send in receipts, etc. and we sent that a few weeks ago.
Apparently everything looked good because we got our money. It was a big surprise when I looked in our checking account and it was there. I was expecting to have to send the reciepts again because I've heard horror stories from last year and this year.
Advertisements
Sounds like the refunds are starting pour in...Congrats to all!!..we received ours last week after a 3 month wait, tax advocate, Senate and Congressional help...:dance:
I hope the IRS can resolve these issues and save taxpayers money by reducing some of these back and forth paperwork exchange, phone calls and people's valuable time....
Have a friend that just received their 2010 return!! They didn't get the advocate or anything they just waited...
Congrats again!!
Jas11 please put some contact info on a post you made re: 7/09/58 Albany adoption. A relative is looking for him. Thank you.
Anne in Potsdam, NY