Advertisements
Advertisements
Husband and I are moving soon and as soon as we are settled in we are going to start the process to foster/foster to adopt but we are a little scared that we might have to move again before an adoption can be finalized...I heard he can go against orders and stay home for 6 months but is that just if hes deploying or can it work if hes transferring?
And can an adoption be finalized if he is gone/deployed but I have POA?
And if for whatever reason he got orders to move again and a child was already placed with us but we were waiting for the adoption to be finalized would I be able to stay back with the child without DH?
Waiting4OurBaby10
Husband and I are moving soon and as soon as we are settled in we are going to start the process to foster/foster to adopt but we are a little scared that we might have to move again before an adoption can be finalized...I heard he can go against orders and stay home for 6 months but is that just if hes deploying or can it work if hes transferring?
And can an adoption be finalized if he is gone/deployed but I have POA?
And if for whatever reason he got orders to move again and a child was already placed with us but we were waiting for the adoption to be finalized would I be able to stay back with the child without DH?
We spoke to an agency earlier this year about deployments and adoption. They said that as the homestudy is only classed as 'current' for 6 months, and my DH would be gone for 7 months, we would not be able to place if it expired.:grr:
POA was not acceptable for use in homestudy. If my DH (lord, I miss him) was able to take two weeks R&R mid way through, the agency would have worked with us to ensure the HS was updated at that point. Hubby isn't getting any R&R, so we would have been left to start the whole process again on his return! We decided to hold off until his return:(
Hope this helps......feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Sarah
Advertisements
We're going through a different agency for our homestudy and our social worker told us the homestudy is good for a year. Even if we hit the one-year mark before finalization occurs, if the child is already born and in our home by the one-year mark we won't have to renew. But that's for CT, I'm not sure if it's different for other states
We were told about a couple who lived out of state and were allowed to finalize by video conference as it would represent "undue hardship" to travel back for finalization. So that might be possible.
waiting4ourbaby10 yes you can finalize even if your spouse is deployed. I deployed for six months two and a half weeks before my son was born. Because we knew this could happen I made sure my husband had a GPA and an adoption specific POA (which Navy legal did for free) prior to my deployment. This was satisfactory for the signing of all paperwork and obtaining approval for inter state compact to bring my son from his birth state to where we were stationed at that time. The state I was stationed at was very supportive and did the finalization after I returned because I was transfering just a few weeks later and really wanted to be a part of that process since I missed so much.
You do not have to go back to the birth state to finalize if you get inter state compact approval. You can finalize in the state your family is currently stationed at. You will need a local adoption lawyer to assist you with the whole process. I hope this helps and good luck.