Advertisements
Advertisements
We signed up with a private agency last year and told them we only were interested in adoption. I had just finished all my chemo treatments and we decided since we couldnt have children we would adopt a sibling set that would have a hard time finding a home otherwise. Seven months ago we got the call. The agency had two siblings with special needs that needed a home. They said although the parentsҒ rights hadnt been terminated, they were 99% sure this would be adoption given the parents past-3 previous children adopted, 15+ year criminal history, etc. The newborn was born with drugs and he was in bad health. The toddler had neglect issues such as not being fed and was behind due to no interaction and had already been placed in care at least 3 other times. The birth parents were both in jail with severe charges looking at 15-30 years and had no family or friends to take the kids. Fast forward to the present҅the parents got a plea deal. They gave up the names of their fellow drug dealers and are now out free. Our adoption has been cancelled and the children are scheduled to go back to their birth parents at the end of this month. It breaks my heart. I am sad for our loss, but even more so for what the children are going back to. They have come so far and were finally getting the love and medical intervention they needed to heal. The state social worker is telling us not to worry b/c with these birth parents past these kids will be back in care soon. They tell us the birth parents will be given lots of services to help them parent and they will be checking up to ensure the kids safety. Our agency suggested we write a letter to the court, which we did, but to no avail. Not even the childrens guardian ad litem will help. I wanted to get my story out so that others wonҒt be as nave as we were. No matter what promises your agency or Children & Youth make there are no guarantees. I am now wondering what to do next.