Advertisements
Advertisements
New to this but here it goes. Kinship foster parent to my neice since March 2010. My sis denied drug use all of last year and was able to pass "scheduled" drug tests. Then in November admitted she had a drug problem SURPRISE!. Soon after that became pregnant so the new plan was to have her be at a special rehab where you can have your kids live with you. Moved my neice in to that place begining of April and was heartbroken. My sis couldn't handle it and had to take my neice back 4 days later. Went to a big meeting afterwards and was told the goal was changed to adoption. Sis has 2nd baby in August cont with weekly supervised visits told goal was to be changed back to reunification sometime after x-mas because neice has been through alot. DCF convinced sis is better because she was drug free during pregnancy. Now after only seeing how she can handle 2 children once during a supervised visit they have changed her visits to unsupervised and she can go where ever she wants. I disagree saying she needs to be watched now more than ever because she is not pregnant and that was what motivated her not to do drugs. Plus she is around her BF who does drugs on a daily basis. They are not worried and say she is fine because she passed the "scheduled" drug test. Now they have also decided to reunite her by Nov 1st. My neice is very attached to my family she calls us mom and dad despite us correcting her. I have already been through the pain of giving her back once and now have to do it again. My sis will most likely not let us have contact with her when she gets her back out of spite. Plus no job and no foodstamps and no way to support 2 children. Is there anything I can do? Any comments would be appreciated. This is a very short version of the story!!
Aw, KM.. i feel your pain. I was constnantly ranting about my cousin and his ex when we were trying to adopt J.
its astonishing how many chances they get.. and how blind the cw's seem at times. Too often their strategy seems to be, give thme back until there's enough evidence to pull them again.
Do the kids have a GAL? or a CASA?
If you disagree with the CW's decicsion, you can ask to speak to a supervisor.
there are several of us who have BTDT,. We usually hang out in the relative adoption sub forum. any time you need to strategize or vent, please feel free to join us
Advertisements
So sorry to hear about this :( My BD has a similar situation with her fiance's ex and his daughter. The mom is a heroin user and has been for years, but the courts gave her primary custody and let her move away! Just because she tested negative one time! I know this has to be the most frustrating part about foster care. It's so hard to strike a balance between "treating them like your own" and throwing them to the wolves, or so it seems, when they return to bad situations.
It's stories like this that make me question getting licensed, but I want to go ahead with it anyway.
I will pray for your situation and hope the little darling is safe. :loveyou: