Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey guys, am in the early processes of adopting and we have a 5yr old biological son. I am wondering what your relationship was like with your adopted siblings? Did you feel bonded to them? Did you feel you were treated differently? Did you feel you 'missed out' in any way in regards sibling relationships?
What is your relationship like today? I would appreciate hearing as many views as possible if you wouldn't mind sharing!
Thanks,
D
P.S. I am also in search for my own siblings who were adopted/ removed at birth.
I am on these forums since my DH and I are pre-adoptive parents trying to adopt from foster care. I have always planned to adopt.
I am 45 yo and have two biological and two adopted siblings. I have an older sister, a younger brother and two younger sisters. My younger sisters joined our family in 1976 from Korea when they were 2 and 3. They are biological siblings. My parents did not make a big deal out of them being adopted. We were all encouraged to try our best in school and in sports.
My sisters are my sisters. I love them just like I love my older sister and brother. I never think of them as my "adopted sisters." I love their kids every bit as much as I love my older sister's kids. (Sometimes even more since the older nieces are full on teenagers with full on teenager attitude! LOL!)
I struggled with IVF for quite some time, no issues with getting eggs more with carrying to full term. My youngest sister has two boys (born before my fertility stuff) and had very difficult deliveries including one where we almost lost her. Twice during my IVF struggles, she sat me down and told me that she would be a surrogate for me. I have tears in my eyes as I write this thinking of her love and generosity, that she would offer such an amazing gift to me. I turned her down both times because I would never risk losing my baby sister for any reason.
My sisters are my sisters. I wouldn't change our family in any way.
Advertisements
I had little in common with my "brother" we were not related genetically. He was adopted as an infant via private adoption I came out of foster care. Our "parents" should have never brought as second child into the house in a million years.
My mother made the "we chose you" speech in my brother's earshot once. We were probably 10 and 12 at the time. He hated me more because the were stuck with him whereas they chose me.
And for relationship now, I've not seen or heard from my brother since December of 2009. He and his wife had my parents and myself over to see his then 3 day old daughter. And he bascially said "here i have my real family now...now go away."
Abrother and I are the best of friends and always have been. Grew up surrounded by loing nurturing parents.
I was adopted at birth into a family that there was my aDad, his bio son, and my aMom(step-parent to bio child). Hindsight being 20/20... I dont think they should have been allowed to adopt.
My "brother" and I are 9 years apart. Deep down we have love for one another but we dont really associate. We are not close and the age difference is a bit of it but I think it is more because he has issues because of his own bio mom abandoning him young...and I have mine due to my adoption. He isnt even close to his bio dad, stepmom that raised him, or his bio mom. I might have felt closer to another sibling that was adopted too, but I found personally that my "brother" was treated way better because he was my aDad's son and my aMom went along with whatever my aDad wanted. My aDad actually tried to be a parent to him...seems funny now that I have a better relationship with the parents than he does.
Had/have a wonderful afamily. Could not have asked for better. My brother and I are both adopted. We get along decent, but aren't close as adults. We're just very different (and not in a bad way) and live far apart. Not much other than history to keep us connected. He's a wonderful guy who just has very different interests than I.
Advertisements
I have seen great adoptive sibling relationships- and horrible relationships. My husband and sister in law had a pretty typical love/hate relationship for sibs - but mine was different
My a-parents should not have ever been approved as adoptive parents. I was the 'golden child' whereas my younger brother was adopted from overseas and suffered from epilepsy. My adoptive father immediately wanted to decline the adoption because he can't handle ANY type of illness. My amom wouldn't. We were a house divided. My amom completely over compensated for my adad's ignoring my brother by doing everything for him.
He had severe learning disabilities but she wouldn't let him be labeled and have another strike against him in my adad's mind and he suffered for it. She was physically abusive to him but also coddled him terribly. My parents separated when I was 18, my brother 17. He repeated 12th grade for 3 yrs until I got involved and had him processed for vocational training and a spec ed diploma. When she went on vacation she wanted me to draw his bath and wake him up for work when he was 22 & I was 23. We never got along because our parents put us against each other.
He joined the army, got married and could have had a semblance of normalacy, but no-he and his wife separated 8 yrs ago because she couldnt handle the dynamics with my mother- they moved in with her when he left the army. They have a pretty weird relationship. He's 42 and lives with my mother. I have very limited exposure to them- they are pretty toxic for me.
Well I had a terrible relationship with my amom and although my adad was wonderful and probably over compensated for my amom as I grew up, I dont see either of them now and have not for 30 years. On the other hand I have 7 brothers and sisters all of whom were biological and we are all very close even though some get on better with some rather than others. They didn't treat me any different. What is interesting is that none of them have a relationship with there parents either - so perhaps we have stuck together because there are no parents involved.