Advertisements
Advertisements
I am just excited and had to share. We are moving forward with one more adoption of siblings. We are still waiting for the completion of our home study but am too excited to not share. We are looking for sibs under the age of 14, any race or sex.
Background and fingerprints came back and 2 days later we submitted our study on a sibling set of 5. We have a phone conference scheduled for Tuesday next week. The kids are 10, 6,4,2, and 6m. Figured they wouldn't even consider us because we already have 8 children and the kids have only been up for placement for 2 weeks. Excited, nervous, overwhelmed and overjoyed...just to name a few of the emotions that are running through my mind. A few good wishes for us and the children that they find a home, whether it be ours or not, that is perfect for them.
Advertisements
Thanks guys. We had the phone interview and found out that they did have other families interested BUT that they were not interviewing any of them until they work with us :) The worker is coming next Wed. to watch how our home functions with our current children and then she will present her choice to the SW'er. The funny thing is that she is already talking about disclosure, meeting the children and what transition is going to look like. I know that I shouldn't get excited but how can I not with talk like that? I will keep you updated and thanks for the well wishes.
Advertisements
Well today is Monday and no news. Though the worker liked our home because she stated "now just to get the SW'er on board" Hopefully, expecting, that we will hear something this week. I will let you know!
Should have waited to post this morning. Our SW'er came to the house to finish up our adoption paperwork and stated that we were selected for the siblings. Next we go to disclosure and see if we want to move forward. Hopefully we can get a date worked out with everyone before Christmas otherwise I think I may go a bit nuts :)
Wow, that's wonderful! Do you have any idea when that will be? Are the kids together now in a foster home or in diff. homes?
Advertisements
The 6m, 2 and 4 yr old are together in one home and the 10 and 6 yr old in another. They go to court on the 20th and are going to ask the judge to suspend visitation and services and move for TPR trial date. Everyone is in support of this and if the judge grants then the children will be transitioned within a reasonable timeframe. We are 3 1/2 hours away and logistics come into play with us having a large family and them being in 2 separate homes.
We will hear from them, hopefully tomorrow because we didn't figure things out before close today, whether or not disclosure will be this week or next. If we want to move forward then we will meet the children that evening. We will then have a day visit, followed by an overnight, then a weekend and then the move the following weekend. I am under the impression that they will transition according to the children's need and if they are ready we will move faster. Apparently the 6 yr old is very attached to the FM, and she to him, so it may be a longer transition for himself and his older sister.
It should prove to be a busy couple of months if this all works out. Still trying to stop myself from counting the chicks before they hatch but it sure is hard to not be super excited!
Just curious, I have older birth children and younger adopted children, how do your birth kids feel about adopting five more young ones?
They are completely on board and were the ones to actually push for us to adopt more. My oldest daughter, 16, was fine with adding a boy ages 14-12 but didn't want another girl that age. My 14 yr old son actually prefers playing with babies or kids under 3 so this is sheer heaven for him and an all around better fit then if we would have been matched with a 14yr old boy. Our children have no parenting roles at all in the house and are typical teens so adding more, that are substantially younger, doesn't affect them. We still all go to their events and they have the largest cheering section for sports :) Our 10 yr old is super excited to have another child in her age range as she was kinda stuck between the teenagers and the littles.
Our children are a bit different in the sense that we don't have a single brat, mouthy, obnoxious, unruly or overly selfish one in the bunch. One day, my nephew, said that we had too many kids and got "jumped" by our children. They all said, there is enough time and love to go around, more people to play with, that is what family is..size doesn't matter, etc. etc. I was so proud of their reactions and couldn't hide my amusement or smile as I just continued to drive the car as they had the issue handled.
Adding more littles wouldn't be a great fit for all families but for us and our children it is going to work out perfectly. Now I didn't expect to be parenting so many "littles" of my own and am thankful that I am only 36 and am in decent shape :P
That's pretty awesome! What are you doing for "contingency" plans?? My older grown children are to be responsible in the event anything happens to both DH and me. The married one understands why I would want more, and is willing to say he'd take care of them. All my younger children want us to adopt more. One grown son thinks I should do more for myself instead. Another grown son says whatever makes us happy. My daughter about to graduate doesn't want any more sibs before she graduates, even though she's not required to do much in the way of caregiving at all-she just REALLY likes peace & quiet & "me" time. The other older daughter wants to bring home MANY more kids to adopt... The 14 yr old son wants a "cool" brother around his age. My youngest daughter wants another sister. My little boy wants a little brother. I really would LOVE to adopt one more sibling group, though FIVE all at once would probably be a bit overwhelming! I just don't have the space yet, and I'm a lot older than you, but if I could I would. It's shocking to me to hear you were chosen when there were others inquiring, as you have a big family already. Do you have help? I've tried many times to imagine "what if", how it could be done. I know your computer time will be limited after you bring the new kids home, but I sure hope you're able to keep us updated on how everything works out... God bless you and your family!:clap:
Advertisements