Advertisements
Advertisements
Anyone BTDT? Kids are us citizens but Mom is here illegally with no immigration status. She fcing Criminal charges for her abuse against kids. Anyone had it happen where the bio was deported? What did it mean for the kids?
Thanks!
rmsept81
Anyone BTDT? Kids are us citizens but Mom is here illegally with no immigration status. She fcing Criminal charges for her abuse against kids. Anyone had it happen where the bio was deported? What did it mean for the kids?
Thanks!
My little one's father was an illegal immigrant. And I had another child's who's parents were illegal. A bio parents' immigration status has nothing to do with child welfare or foster care so it isn't addressed. Child welfare did not care at all that bios were illegal. They didn't even pass the info on to immigration. Unless the parents actually ARE deported (which may not happen) while the children are in foster care, it won't ever come up as part of your foster child's case. The charges against her will probably be dropped in exchange for completing a case plan. And unless the DA reports her to immigration, deportation won't even come up. And when she completes the case plan, they'll return the children. Her status won't impact the proceedings. Even if they report her to immigration, there is no guarantee of deportation. It's a long drawn out process and the fact that her kids are dependant citizens will make it difficult for them to just show her the door. That's why they call them anchor babies. It almost guarantees you won't be deported (unless you commit a serious crime)
If she doesn't complete her caseplan, the case goes to trial and she'll have a lawyer. TPR would be handled the same way as if she were a citizen.
Advertisements
Thanks for the reply Kat. I know it doesn't effect the DCFS case but she's likely to be convicted of a felony. We've been told she a likely candidate for deportation this is why I was wondering if anyone had experienced the deportation piece.
Our boys dad was deported. Well it was a voluntary deportation and he didn't really leave but in the eyes of dcyf he was gone as if we were in contact with him us and dcyf could be convicted of harboring an illegal alien or something like that. Anyway. He relinquished before his deportation date. With his daughter who had an open case, the judge wanted him to name a guardian and he did which then let the case close.
My lil one that just left yesterday, her bio dad was already in prison when she came into care and her mother was arrested the day she came into care. My lil one was a US citizen, but both bios are illegal. When her dad was released last fall, he was deported and can't legally enter the US for 10 years. Her mom is supposed to be deported when she is released some time in the next year or two, and again not be allowed to legally enter the US for 10 years. Squirt's GAL was awesome and really focused on making sure any relative resources were legal as Squirt was very "Americanized" and she didn't want her to have to worry about her new guardians being deported. So I guess all of it just depends on where you live, who is involved with your case, and the reason for the incarcerations.
My little guy was placed with us from the hospital and his father was an undocumented alien (the PC term for illegal alien). They quickly decided to TPR mom's rights and dad was deported due to multiple violent offenses (however he frequently comes back into the states as he is good at getting into the countyr but bad a staying out of jail). The mexican consulate could have intervened and attempted to take custody of P, since his was "orphaned" and had dual citizenship, but they declined. They still did a TPR on dad, even though he had already been deported at the time.
Advertisements
Greetings all. I'm a writer based in New York (http://anand.ly), and I'm researching a story on this difficult issue. If anyone would be willing to share their experience with me, anonymously or directly, I would love to hear it. I'm at a@anand.ly