Advertisements
Advertisements
With the holidays quickly approaching, I thought we might like to participate in a gratitude thread. I know whenever I'm feeling triggered or sad or just a little down in the dumps, I feel better if I can think of just a couple things to be grateful for during an ordinary day.
I'll go ahead and start:
1) I'm grateful for having wonderful friends, both in real life and online.
2) I'm grateful that we have enough firewood to get us through the winter, and I'm grateful for my neighbors who helped me split it and stack it without me even asking for their help.
3) I'm grateful for my barn cats who live on my porches and in my barn -- they're actually a semi-feral cat colony that formed when "flatlanders" dumped their unwanted cats and kittens out in my neck of the woods. Today, "Mr. Big" aka "Prince Charming" flirted with me so he'd get an extra treat. I was feeling sad about losing my mom a few weeks ago, but Mr. Big made me laugh out loud with his cuteness.
(Feel free to list as few or as many things as you'd like. I plan to add a few things to the list each day until the holiday season is over.) :coffee:
Today I'm grateful that gas dropped three more cents. It makes all the difference when I drive about 250 a week.
I'm grateful to be going to Mom and Dad's for Christmas tomorrow.
Advertisements
I'm grateful we had a really good time at Mom and Dad's.
I'm grateful I got to go on two really long walks in my home town. There is nothing quite like nostalgia.
I'm grateful we got to have steak at Bob's. Great steaks and it is always nice to go out with mom and dad.
I'm grateful Mom finished up all the frames for the cross stitch presents I made for my brother and his fiance.
I'm grateful it was in the upper 50's here... can't go wrong with that in December in South Dakota. Great driving weather for all the travelling we do.
belleinblue1978
I'm grateful we had a really good time at Mom and Dad's.
I'm grateful I got to go on two really long walks in my home town. There is nothing quite like nostalgia.
I'm grateful we got to have steak at Bob's. Great steaks and it is always nice to go out with mom and dad.
I'm grateful Mom finished up all the frames for the cross stitch presents I made for my brother and his fiance.
I'm grateful it was in the upper 50's here... can't go wrong with that in December in South Dakota. Great driving weather for all the travelling we do.
I've always thought South Dakota sounds like an interesting state to visit. If I ever visit the US, I'd rather visit out of the way places rather than the usual tourist traps (though I would probably visit them too).
It is beautiful caths. Of course I am biased since I have lived here my whole life. I've travelled plenty and have another big trip planned this spring, so I have seen the rest of the country, but I know this is home.
We live in the central part of the state on the Missouri River. My favorite place to visit is the Black Hills. It looks touristy, but if you do it right you can skip all that if you want. Our last trip included maybe one thing that was a tourist trap.
belleinblue1978
My favorite place to visit is the Black Hills. It looks touristy, but if you do it right you can skip all that if you want. Our last trip included maybe one thing that was a tourist trap.
Belle, just remember that you promised to take me to see Wounded Knee when I come to visit you, kiddo! Maybe I'll have one of those reactions that Val Kilmer's character did in Thunderheart...you never know!
Advertisements
Absolutely we will go to Wounded Knee. I haven't been there either, strangely enough. Is this before or after we buy the cave? Haha
I am grateful for good weather for the drive up to Vermont and back.
I am grateful that I saw some snow, even if it did fall overnight it was a beautiful site to see with the mountains in the background.
I am grateful for another night off from work.
belleinblue1978
It is beautiful caths. Of course I am biased since I have lived here my whole life. I've travelled plenty and have another big trip planned this spring, so I have seen the rest of the country, but I know this is home.
We live in the central part of the state on the Missouri River. My favorite place to visit is the Black Hills. It looks touristy, but if you do it right you can skip all that if you want. Our last trip included maybe one thing that was a tourist trap.
I think the areas I've seen pictures of are of the Black Hills and the Badlands. Also, I didn't realise how much of a role South Dakota played in America's folklore.
Also, don't laugh, but I've always been strangely fascinated by the name of one of your cities, Rapid City. I realise there is nothing to be fascinated about (I see it is named after a creek) but I just like the name for some reason. Yes, I'm weird lol.
Caths, Herbie, one of our Bichons went for a swim in Rapid Creek this fall on our trip there.
Part of the reason I enjoy visiting the Hills is because of the rich history. We visited Deadwood and of course went to Saloon No. 10 where Wild Bill Hickock was shot.
We also went through the Badlands, really pretty country.
J proposed to me at a spot on Spearfish Creek in Spearfish Canyon. I'll post the picture if I can get it shrunk. It is a spot that only a higher power could have made.
We live on the open prairie, which I also adore. I grew up in a small town in the north central part of the state, well both of us did actually.
Ok, I've rambled on about SD enough haha.
Advertisements
I'm grateful I got to give my son his Christmas presents in person and help him open them.
I'm grateful that I will get to go home for Christmas, even if it's just for four days, at least I'll see my family who I'm also grateful for.
I'm grateful I was able to visit my uncle this year.
I'm grateful that I'm employed at both my jobs and that my employment should be steady next year.
I'm grateful for my friends and chosen family.
I am grateful for my extended family who has shown me support in this crummy time of my life.
I am mostly grateful to have seen my monster last week... While it was painful and sad I am happy to have had it!
I am grateful to have heat in this time of year.
I am grateful to have a place to lay my head at night.
I am also over the moon to have received my first ever xmas card to me. I wasn't expecting it and it was awesome to have received one that was meant for me!
I'm grateful for getting through our "holiday" with my in laws without swearing at either of them. It was a challenge today when my FIL was freaking out about our screen door, which we know needs to be replaced, as I am getting ready to go to work, which my MIL complained about time after time.
I'm grateful I'm not really a holiday ruiner, though I tried my hardest to be this year haha.
I'm grateful my parents are cool and believe in guilt free holidays. Thanks for letting us visit last weekend and pretending it was really Christmas and for understanding that there are people out there who need me more than they do.
I'm grateful I had to work so I didn't have to spend a lot longer getting complained at over my broken screen door and that it should be fixed by now because you're going to have a lot of **** problems with that. Uh, visit with your son about it too, pretty sure he lives there just the same as I do.
I'm grateful I got some pretty cool presents. J surprised me with a video game I really wanted and thought we couldn't find. I'm a pretty lucky girl!
ETA: I'm grateful for the beer I am going to have when I get home while I play said new video game, which is Zelda, THE Wii game to have this season, how cool am I? Thanks again for an awesome surprise J!
I am grateful that I have an extra night off of work since I am not in the mood to deal with anyone again today.
I am grateful for the new book I picked up on Saturday.
I am grateful for the projects that I have to work on.
Advertisements
I'm grateful I have Herbie and Kirby to take walking after dark. They may be little but they are my protectors and woe to the person who gets near Herbie's mama.
I'm also grateful there is a Catholic Boarding school across the stree from me and I can walk through their campus and feel totally safe and they welcome people like me. :)
I'm grateful for my new hoodie with earphones built into the drawstring. So awesome to not have an extra set of cords.
I'm grateful that now that the holidays are over I feel pretty much back to normal and don't feel like picking fights with J anymore!
I'm grateful for my Mutti. You know who you are. Thanks for being an important figure in my life!
I'm grateful for public libraries and pray that budget cuts will not cause any closures in the foreseeable future. I'm grateful that I can pretty much order whichever book I want and that the library will put in an interlibrary loan for me. I'm grateful for my new stack of library books sitting next to my easy chair...
Belle reminded me with her latest post of how the Catholic nuns in Albuquerque always gave me a soft place to fall when the grief from missing my son got too great for me to handle. I'm grateful that I lived right down the street from a Catholic convent and parochial school...and I'm grateful that the sisters didn't think I was too looney-tunes. I'm grateful for the statue they had of the Blessed Virgin Mary...and how I was allowed to meditate at Our Lady's feet in the middle of the night, which is when the grief hit me hardest. I'm grateful that Our Lady of Refuge granted me mercy and peace...and was instrumental in my reunion with my son. :loveyou:
I'm grateful that the holiday season is almost over...because I don't think my extended family can handle much more stress right now.