Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello. We are considering adopting an older child (age 5-12.) We have contacted a few agencies regarding the process but still have many questions before we can begin the process.
We have four biological children at home that we homeschool. I have received conflicting information about homeschooling a child that we plan to adopt. One caseworker said that we would not be able to homeschool a child placed in our home because they are technically a foster child for six months until the adoption is final. Another caseworker said that we could homeschool--we would just have to get approval from the judge.
Has anyone homeschooled a foster child that they planned to adopt? Thank you for any help that you can provide.
I was a homeschooler until this last week. My older girls decided to try out charter school. so off they went. In AZ i have been told there is no way, no how they will allow homeschooling for a foster child.
I have a friend in TN that is homeschooling her foster child wtih the k12 program. Since it is public school, with a teacher, it might be an option, if you really want to keep them at home. I think it will be case by case, based off of the CW for the childthat needs to sign off on it.
Good luck!
Advertisements
We do not home school but I have heard through my training classes and a few CWs that they do allow home schooling on a case by case basis. We are in Illinois. Good luck on your journey.
Homeschooling of foster kids is very rare but possible if the circumstances warrant it. I would guess that generally, you're going to have to send foster kids to school. Once you adopt, you can do as you please.
We will be pulling one of ours out of school the second the adoption is finalized. Due to various circumstances, it may take us a couple years to get them all home.
Homeschooling is only allowed rarely in our area, in situations where it is deemed best for the child. Certainly for MOST foster children, if reunification is even a possibility, it is best that they are in school. Once they are home with bios, educators keep an eye on things, and it makes no sense to pull them in and out. As an ex-homeschooler myself, I know that it would be much easier to catch the kids up at home -- we do a fair amount of after-schooling with placements instead. Once an adoption is final -- that's another story :-).
I wanted to homeschool my youngest adopted child. I didn't ask if I could prior to TPR. When the next school year rolled around, we had a visit from our adoption worker and GAL during which I brought up the subject. They said it sounded reasonable to them, and they approved it.
Advertisements
I asked this question when I was starting out because I thought I might be placed with a school age child. I was told that prior to TPR, it would be very unlikely that I would be allowed to homeschool because most bio-parents still have educational rights up until the time that TPR is granted and both the bio-parents and the judge would have to agree. Even if the bio-parents agreed, I was told that most judges would not since adoption-by-me is not definite at this point.
After TPR, I was told that I could homeschool if the judge agrees and that most judges would agree since, at this point, adoption by me would be an almost-definite. This is especially true once the intent-to-adopt was signed, which in my county usually happens once the appeals period is over 60 days after TPR.
Thank you to all who shared their experiences with me. I am very grateful for your time.
Illinois doesn't allow homeschooling for the foster parent requirements. My partner and I don't agree with homeschooling though anyway.
Myra22
Hello. We are considering adopting an older child (age 5-12.) We have contacted a few agencies regarding the process but still have many questions before we can begin the process.
We have four biological children at home that we homeschool. I have received conflicting information about homeschooling a child that we plan to adopt. One caseworker said that we would not be able to homeschool a child placed in our home because they are technically a foster child for six months until the adoption is final. Another caseworker said that we could homeschool--we would just have to get approval from the judge.
Has anyone homeschooled a foster child that they planned to adopt? Thank you for any help that you can provide.
Wow that is funny - Children's Home & Aid told me Illinois does not allow homeschooling, for foster/to/adopting.
Forevernmyheart
We do not home school but I have heard through my training classes and a few CWs that they do allow home schooling on a case by case basis. We are in Illinois. Good luck on your journey.
Advertisements