Advertisements
Advertisements
My almost 16 year old son is currently in an RTF and they are looking at discharging him soon. I am trying to get services lined up for him. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers among other conditions. One agency that I am looking into is for children that have autism as a diagnosis. It can be high functioning autism but it HAS to be autism and NOT AspergerҒs. I think the agency may re-evaluate him to get their own determination. Can someone let me know what are some of the signs or differences in Aspergers and high functioning Autism? Thanks for your help.
It can be high functioning autism but it HAS to be autism and NOT Aspergers
autism and aspergers are two seperate things. But they both are considered to be on the spectrum.
Ex: Dyslexia is considered a learning disability
ADHD is considered a learning disability.
Two seperate things but both learning disabilites.
Does that make sense?
Advertisements
I would double check what they say. Do they really say they won't accept aspergers? Yes Aspergers is different from Autism but not by a lot both are on the spectrum. The biggest difference I have seen is the anxiety levels are higher and the thought process are slightly different than a child with autism. They are re-defining the definition and qualifications and may eliminate the asperger diagnosis however, they have not done so yet. Tony Attwood has some great books about Aspergers that can help you identify whats different from Autism.
Aspergers is different from Autism but not by a lot both are on the spectrum.
they are very very different. But you are correct, they both are on the spectrum.
If you put yourself in a room with a child with autism and a child with aspergers, you can see the difference just as clear as you can see the difference between light and dark.
They are both considered Pervasive Development Disorders but it is really comparing apples and oranges.
There are even seperate support groups fro parents with a child with asperbers and a child with autism, as the parents really wouldnt be able to identify with each other and the issues that comes with each different dx.
The main difference between the two is language ability. If there are language delays than a child is generally considered to have some level of autism, but if there aren't any language delays (maybe even high levels of vocabulary usage and such) then it is considered aspergers. Our son is technically HFA because of his language delays, but as far as most people are concerned he is referred to as having aspergers. Confusing, I know.
My son didn't get the Asperger's diagnosis because of his speech delays. He is diagnosed with PDD, on the spectrum.
Advertisements
urban
Aspergers is different from Autism but not by a lot both are on the spectrum.
they are very very different. But you are correct, they both are on the spectrum.
If you put yourself in a room with a child with autism and a child with aspergers, you can see the difference just as clear as you can see the difference between light and dark.
They are both considered Pervasive Development Disorders but it is really comparing apples and oranges.
There are even seperate support groups fro parents with a child with asperbers and a child with autism, as the parents really wouldnt be able to identify with each other and the issues that comes with each different dx.
They are very different. Asperger's is more of a delay/challenge in social skills, with added sensory issues. (Sensitive to emotion, taste, touch, noise, light...).
What's even more different is sitting in a room with one "classical" autistic non-verbal kid and one Asperger's. Big difference.
Asperger syndrome is a much more specific diagnosis, with specific diagnostic criteria. Until recently, the biggest difference between Asperger syndrome and high functioning autism was based on whether a person developed speech typically as a toddler. Those who did develop speech typically were considered to have Asperger syndrome while those who did not (even if they developed typical speech later) were diagnosed with autism. Now, experts are wondering whether speech development is the best way to distinguish between autism and Asperger syndrome or if there even is a difference.