Advertisements
Advertisements
I am starting to freak out. THREE more days. FOUR more sleeps. And I will be in front of a judge to say "I do" to my son. :-) I am really irritated at BFF who says she sin't sure she'll be able to come, and who of course has known the date for months!!! But, I am soo past that. I don't care if I am the only one there, I want my son.
But, I am also getting nervous about making sure I do everything I need after adoption. What was your checklist? I know that I need at least the following:
1. New SSN (We have no reason to believe bio mom ever got his SSN but AW advises to change it anyway.)
2. Subsidy/Medicaid card (how does #1 affect this? Isn't medicaid tied to SSN?)
3. Update all doctors' offices with new name
4. New application to daycare with new name
Anything else?
I found this site, vistaprint who does banners pretty cheap. I got two that are 2' x 3' for 15$ or so. I am putting one up on Monday, and assuming it will be damaged by end of week, putting the other up on Saturday for the party.
I tell you, someone would make a killing if they created invites/stationary/etc for Adoption and Foster/Adopt situations. I found very little out there and even the Adoption was geared towards couples and baby adoption. I finally picked a banner that says Baby Boy and I put on it "we are finally a forever family" with date and "Introducing firstname middlename" on it. These are for the front yard.
It doesn't help matters that baby boy is teething like crazy. He was the biggest crankpot in the world yesterday. It is one thing to calm a cranky teething baby, it is altogether different to calm one who was born drug addicted. I had finally got him to sleep, at least I thought, put him in his crib and two minutes later he is in there yelling and gets up and bumps his head on the crib slat. So now my precious baby has a little bruise on his forehead. I hope we don't have a repeat performance before Monday!
So, I am not sleeping well because Chubbs is not sleeping well, and because I am so riled up. I doubt that I will sleep much Sunday night. I still have that little worry of bio mom showing up and saying "I am all clean now and want my son back." I know that the reality is she doesn't stand a chance, but I do know from others' experience it could be enough to stay the adoption for a bit.
The first thing I did was call to make appointment at the SS office to get new number and card. They gave me NO trouble when I requested a new number.
Then I called the Medicaid office and told them to update their system to reflect that SC was adopted on xx date and his new name is BB. When i got the amended birth certificate in the mail, I took Medicaid a copy of it. Within days of informing them of this change, we had a new card with his new name on it.
As for the doctors... I just waited until the next time we went to update their files.
The main things are changing the SS number and updating Medicaid.
I was a nervous wreck the last few days before adoption day... TOTALLY know what you're going through! Congratulations!
Advertisements
Do you know how long the new birth certificates are taking in your state?
You won't be able to do the new SSN without it, and my pediatricians office also flat out refused to change their names until we had the new birth certificates (which was completely ridiculous, as I had the adoption decree with their old names and new names on it).
What about adding him to your private insurance? In our area, if you have private insurance, that has to be your primary insurance for the child, with medicaid as secondary.
Congrats on your upcoming adoption!!
New Birth Certificate was applied for us automatically.
We can't get new SSN until we have new BC (which takes about 3-4 months here). We can change name and keep old SSN with just court decree, but new SSN requires BC here. We tried to get new SSN with just court decree, we were told no, we could only change name and not number unless we had new BC. (Crazy I know! And I am sure it might vary depending on who you talk to at SSA.)
New medicaid card was done automatically for us.
Doctors changed all information from just the court decree.
Daycare did not need anything, they just changed her name. But they bill the state directly, so they see the official name change on their invoice. Don't know if that matters. Then I went around and changed everything I had written her name on such as baby wipe containers, etc, and brought new ones with her new name on it. (I think that felt greatest of all! :p )
I added her as a dependent at work. I sent in all my benefit change information to include her. They just needed court decree.
Don't know if you have a will or not, but will want to update that (or get one.)
Congratulations!
StephanieMB
When i got the amended birth certificate in the mail, I took Medicaid a copy of it. Within days of informing them of this change, we had a new card with his new name on it.
As for the doctors... I just waited until the next time we went to update their files.
The main things are changing the SS number and updating Medicaid.
I was a nervous wreck the last few days before adoption day... TOTALLY know what you're going through! Congratulations!
Thanks! Subsidy is handling the medicaid piece. I don't even know if i get a real medicaid card. All I get as a foster child is a form letter good for one month that has a paper "card" on the bottom. Since I will be getting subsidy, I am guessing this will be the same. I forgot to ask.
jmd5294
Do you know how long the new birth certificates are taking in your state?
You won't be able to do the new SSN without it, and my pediatricians office also flat out refused to change their names until we had the new birth certificates (which was completely ridiculous, as I had the adoption decree with their old names and new names on it).
What about adding him to your private insurance? In our area, if you have private insurance, that has to be your primary insurance for the child, with medicaid as secondary.
Congrats on your upcoming adoption!!
Thank you!
No, I don't know how long the birth certificate will take, good question. I thought I would get it right away, but I may have misunderstood.
As for insurance, my insurance does not allow piggy-backing. I guess that is good and bad. Good because if I have him on mine, I can kiss away another 2500$ a year of income. Bad because I don't have a fall back in the event medicaid doesn't cover something. However, we do have something called PASSS here in OH for up to 10K of services in the even that Medicaid doesn't cover something.
Advertisements
Thanks elk! I am in the works on the Will piece. My understanding was that the medicaid and BC will be taken care of for me. I will call SSA and find out about the number.
I already added him as my beneficiary for my life insurance. I need to set up a trust, but for now, the will should manage everything. I am also leaving some behind to both of "my girls."
you probably don't need a new application at the daycare==just flash your shiny new adoption decree and they'll likely just change his name!
don't forget any dentists or other medical professionals. pharmacies may need to know about the name change as well. that can all wait until the next time you need something.
here we had to decide to go primary or secondary with the medicaid. we've had no trouble at all with medicaid paying for everything. it's different, i think, for kids adopted from foster care. our medicaid has gone to a card for our kids. they're also in the process of shifting the dental care to a private contractor, so the kids will get that card as well.
don't forget to get your son's shot record changed over to his new name in both your doctor's records an on the state record as well if you have one. we had to have new names listed on our IMTrac so we could access their shot records.
congratulations!
greenrobin
you probably don't need a new application at the daycare==just flash your shiny new adoption decree and they'll likely just change his name!
don't forget any dentists or other medical professionals. pharmacies may need to know about the name change as well. that can all wait until the next time you need something.
here we had to decide to go primary or secondary with the medicaid. we've had no trouble at all with medicaid paying for everything. it's different, i think, for kids adopted from foster care. our medicaid has gone to a card for our kids. they're also in the process of shifting the dental care to a private contractor, so the kids will get that card as well.
don't forget to get your son's shot record changed over to his new name in both your doctor's records an on the state record as well if you have one. we had to have new names listed on our IMTrac so we could access their shot records.
congratulations!
I have actually had trouble with my daycare and his name. They finally started calling him new name, but like the old name is still on his crib, his bottle space in the fridge, etc. He is actually going to be transitioning to the infant 2 room since he is crawling and pulling himself up all of the time. So, the manager said that she has already told them to put Grayson on all of his stuff there. Also, on the application, I need to remove references to the agency being authorized to visit/pick him up. So, I just want a clean app with his new name. :-)
I am so sorry to interrupt this post or to ask this here, but I can't find the answer to my ?. I am new as of today and can't figure out how to post a new question. Please help!
Advertisements
praying4afamily
I am so sorry to interrupt this post or to ask this here, but I can't find the answer to my ?. I am new as of today and can't figure out how to post a new question. Please help!
you just need to be in a sub forum (like adopting parents -> relative adoption). thereyou will see a "new thread" button. hit that and you can start your new question
it took us 6 months to get the new BC. In the mean time, I got a passport (you can get one with an OBC and an adoption certificate). This allowed us to travel and do pretty much anything that requires an ID.
I had to change ther doctors records, dentist records, ymca registration, day care, school. I had to change her name on her medicaid card (2 states!).
I had to get her prescriptions (flouride) changed to the new name (so that it matched the insurance card).
I got her added to my health insurance and added as a beneficiary on my life insurance
Great question! Does anyone know if the be and medical card are enought to get the ss card? I need to change the numbers too I think. Lots of placements and bios have them.