Advertisements
Advertisements
I would like to adopt my brother's children, twins age 12, from Taiwan. My brother and his wife would like me to be able to adopt them as they are under long-term hardship. I have dual citizenship, Taiwan and US. I am checking all options but ran into roadblocks.
I could go to Taiwan in the summer and file application for legal adoption. However, the problem is getting visas for them to come back with me as I cannot stay in Taiwan physically for 2 years. Currently, they are not considered orphens as they do have parents. I was told by the local immigration office that IR-3 visa will not apply.
If I bring them on student visas, what is the process to adjust status? Do they need to return to Taiwan on an annual basis to renew student visa?
The U.S. does not consider a child an "eligible orphan", entitled to an adoption visa, if he/she has been living with two parents, however poor they may be. The child must be either:
1. The child of a single parent who cannot support the child at a level considered normal in the country.
2. The child of two deceased parents.
3. The child of parents who have abandoned him/her and have not had contact.
4. The child of parents who have legally relinquished him/her, and have had no contact with him/her for a signifcant period of time, such as a year.
5. A child who has been removed from the biological family, by a legitimate action of a court that involves termination of parental rights, for reasons such as abuse or neglect.
If the child does not meet the "orphan definition", the only way to immigrate the child to the U.S. is to live overseas with him/her for two years, as you have been told, and then to apply for a dependent visa. You cannot get an IR-3 or IR-4 visa for the child.
You cannot bring the twins to the U.S. on temporary visas if you plan on trying to keep them here permanently. That would be considered a form of adoption fraud. While some people may have been able to get status adjusted, don't count on it. Consult a good immigration/adoption lawyer for advice.
You cannot renew a student visa by going to your home country annually, as far as I know. A person's student visa expires when he/she graduates from the program which has been authorized by the USCIS, when he/she drops out of the USCIS-authorized program, or when his/her sponsorship arrangements are no longer valid. Remember that not all schools qualify under USCIS rules, and that there are sponsorship arrangements required, which ensure that the chilren's expenses are paid in the U.S. Children on student visas generally cannot attend public schools, so you would have to be able to show that you can support the children fully AND pay private school costs (if they are not accepted to a school that offers financial aid.)
Can you and any of your relatives provide funds to your brother and his wife, so that they do not have to relinquish the children, at least for a few years? Could any relatives or friends in Taiwan adopt the children, if adoption becomes necessary? Those really might be your best options
However, it is always wise to talk about these issues with a highly reputable and experienced immigration/adoption attorney.
Advertisements
I appreciate the advice. How would you suggest going about getting a good immigration/adoption lawyer?
One of the best immigration/adoption lawyers I know is in Georgia. She may or may not be able to help you directly but, if she cannot, she probably can refer you to someone who can. I will PM you.
Sharon
You might want to check Taiwan law as well as US law. I do not believe that Taiwan allows the adoption of family members. You can check the state department website. Look under the "who may be adopted" heading.
Hi Tainan,
I read your post here and I have a similar situation. I intend to adopt my sister's son from Taiwan and I don't think I can get the visa for my nephew from AIT. Just want to ask you, do you have a update on your adoption? Did you bring your nephew to US?
I really appreciate it!
I also email you!
Tom
Advertisements