Advertisements
Advertisements
Our next court date is supposed to be a permanency hearing. Does this mean that DFS will attempt to TPR at that time, or will they just state their intention is to TPR (once judge rules to flip plan from RU to Adoption), then we have to wait for another hearing(s) for TPR?
Once intention becomes TPR/goal switched to adoption, do visits immediately stop with bios? Or, do they continue until TPR goes through?
TPR won't actually take place at the permanency hearing if they decide to change the goal to adoption. It basically just states the intention. They will change the goal, then the JO will file for TPR and the parents will get served. Actually, so will you since you are the foster parent, so dont' freak out. I know the first time we were served for the first placement we had, I freaked out when the Sheriff was pulling up my driveway! Then a compliance hearing is held to ensure everyone got served notice. If the bios in your case are MIA, they will have to publish in the paper, which adds another 45 days to the process. That happened to us. We were pretty sure where parents were, they just refused to answer the door when the Sheriff came knocking to serve them.
Then the first hearing for your TPR will be scheduled. It may be several months out depending on how backed up your courts are- and how long they are scheduling for the trial. Since ours was a case of abandonment, they scheduled only an hour (but that ended up changing as mom showed back up and we got continued- twice.)
And that's the other thing, don't be surprised if the first hearing is continued. It stinks, but is common from what I have heard from others. But if both parents were served and neither of them show, you can almost guarantee TPR will be granted right then. But that may vary by judge too.
As far as visits, they will probably still happen unless the judge has ordered them stopped for some reason. Here, though, the judge may order them stopped if the bios weren't working their plan. It can just depend on that. Even if visits are stopped for whatever reason. When/if TPR is granted, the bios are entitled to one last good bye visit.
Advertisements