Advertisements
Advertisements
So I used to look at my sister in law and think, "why the heck is she making her own baby food!" I thought as a working mom I'd never go to the trouble, but now find myself contemplating it...well more than that, going to give it a go! Never judge, right?!
So, I have in my mind that I want to wait until 6mo. Because LO (3mo.) sleeps well and seems satisfied as is at 30 oz per day.
What are advantages and disadvantages to start at 4month?
I'm nervous about the prospect of starting solids and making sure she gets enough nutrients...how do you know how much solid vs formula to give?
Also, I don't want LO to be given her first solids at daycare. If I wait till 6months, I will be working during the day, can I introduce solids in the early morning, late afternoon? Or would it need to throughout the day making this a reason I should introduce next month when I am off work?
As far as making my own baby food, I have the supplies and a good book, but it doesn't tell me if I have to calculate calories, though it does say to keep baby on at least 18 oz of breast or formula milk. Do I have to calculate calories to make sure LO is getting enough nutrients?
As long as your baby seems content on the milk, solid foods don't "have" to be introduced until about 6 months old, but by 4 months old, she should be ready to try solids.
I have found that it's usually a "learning curve" about how to eat solids vs liquids - so expect the first few times to have food pushed back out. Just know that the eating at the beginning is not for nutrition, but for experimentation.
The milk will continue to give your baby enough nutrients while she learns about eating.
Also, keep in mind that your baby needs to be able to sit in order to eat. Is she able to sit in a high chair? although I started food "tasting" with mine in a little reclining-style baby seat.
The biggest advantage to waiting is that you are giving your daughter's digestive system time to grow and mature... so that she can handle the eating process.
You're going to miss those "simpler" bowel movements though!! lol
Advertisements
Current research shows that it is actually better to AT LEAST wait until 6 months to start solids anyway. Here is one article with a decent summary of reasons to wait. A quick google search could get you a lot more if you want it...I did a lot of reading recently for my baby :)
[url=http://askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/starting-solids/6-reasons-delay-introducing-solid-food]6 Reasons To Delay Introducing Solid Food | Ask Dr. Sears[/url]
Every parents as to start the solid foods when you LO will be 6th months it is the right time to start giving the solid foods. You need to give things like mashed potatoes, inside of peas, and just things like that. the things has to be soft. Fix lots of fresh or steamed veggies and don't add salt to them. That will help balance out any added sodium in packaged goods. I read an article about when to introduce baby to solid foods.
[url=http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/baby-food-nutrition-9/starting-solid-food]Baby Food: Introducing Solid Foods[/url]
After a lot of research...I started Guy on solids at 5 months. I saw good points on both sides of the 4 vs 6 month debate. :-) And Guy was ready!! We started with avocados!! They don't need to be cooked, just give them a good mashing and add a little water to thin it out at first. Avocados are a great first food because of their easy prep and also because they contain the good fat, fat that is used for brain development. When we started we did some avocado once maybe twice a day. Like PP said it was more about the practice of eating. Good Luck!!!!