Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Stipends
First of all, I am NOT trying to start a debate. I am not trying to get flamed. I am just trying to understand.....I have wondered this for a long time and well, I am finally ready to bite the bullet and ask!
I know that foster children receive a stipend to help reimburse the fp for expenses they incur for taking care of the child. I also know that it's usually far below what the foster parent actually spends on the child. So I get it, I understand it. Definitely needed! I was a foster parent years ago and I completely agree that it's necessary!
But, what I don't understand is why some children that are perfectly HEALTHY continue to get the stipend AFTER they are adopted. Medical card, I understand, but a stipend to help pay for the childs basic needs? I just don't get it.
Just trying to see the reasoning behind it. Maybe since I adopted privately I see things differently. BUT, that being said, I just can't imagine getting a stipend for my son that happens to be adopted. He is just as much mine as my bios are and I sure don't get reimbursed for their care. And whether or not I got a monthly check for his care would NOT have been a determining factor in whether I adopted him or not.
SO why do HEALTHY children that are adopted continue to get a stipend? I don't believe it's because they wouldn't be adoptable otherwise....too many people want to adopt.
Just trying to understand:)