Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi my name is Molly and we have been on the adoption list for almost 4 years now. With our 1st daughter, she was lifeless at birth and it was a very scary time. With our 2nd child, I had eternal bleeding and almost died. We decided after that to put ourselves on the adoption list when we got pregnant again with our 3rd. She was very premature and we were in the hospital for months after with her. We wanted another child and have been contacted by 2 birth mothers but both bailed at last minute.
We have finally been contacted by our social worker and we are being given a beautiful 8 month old baby girl named Kahlan. She is severely malnutritioned and is in 3 month clothing and weighs about 12 pounds. She is still in the hospital but improves each day. So far she does not have any sudden long lasting effects but she may be delayed or show signs as she gets older.
Does anyone here have any advice or been down this road? If so, I would love to hear from you.
My son was weighed even less than that but it was because of medical reasons. Just to give you an idea, he was less than 20 pounds at age 2.
Do you know why the baby is malnourished? Reflux, neglect, abuse ...? The cause of the malnutrition is going to make a big difference in how you treat it.
Advertisements
What an exciting time to have a referral of a baby! Congratulations! Our oldest son was 8 months old at adoption and also very malnourished and, even at that time, had other gross developmental delays. We will never know how is life would have been different had he had good nutrition as an infant. We will probably never know what other factors either in utero or otherwise continue to effect him today. But, he is a wonderful blessing to us and, though he has challenges in several areas, his spirit and strengths are amazing and we could not love him more. I don't think you ever know how things will turn out with any child, adopted or biological. But, it is encouraging that she is thriving and doing well now. She must have a strong spirit, too! Good luck to you and blessings.
my foster daughter is 7.5 months old and weighs a whopping 10 lbs 9 oz....frequent feedings (yes, I wake her up every 3 hours at night to eat!), high sustainable calories, and lots of love :)
I have had FTT kids, but it was not because someone was not feeding them. They were both premies and one was born very premature (1lb). The other was early with a lot of medical issues. They are both very small if you compare them to kids their age. They eat a lot, but are really active.