Advertisements
Advertisements
We adopted 3 children from Foster care almost a year ago. We were allowing the father some contact/visitation until he started geting demanding regarding times and dates..he wasnt consistent so we decided against allowing him contact.. He is now angry and threatening to revoke the adoption although he willingfully signed the voluntary termination papers while in prison. I do not believe he has a chance but he claims he does due to paternity never being established on the middle child, fraud to involve voluntary termination (whatever that means). and he claims lack of legal representation.
From what I have read,even if he could revoke for any of these reasons he only had 30 days...
Does anyone know? Any info would be appreciated
Thanks
Honestly, only a lawyer in your state who can look at your adoption can answer those questions for you, but from what you've stated here, it sounds like a pipe dream for him. Sounds like he is grasping at straws to try and control you.
I would absolutely cut off contact with this man. He is bringing nothing good into your life, only strife and stress for you and your children. Don't let him draw you into an argument.
If he wants to hire an attorney, there is nothing you can do about it, so don't stress about it. Do you have doubts about the way the adoption was handled? Would speaking to the attorney who handled your adoption help?
Bm of my son said once, in desperation, that she was going to speak to a lawyer about "her rights" in an open adoption. Well, I encouraged her to do so, as I know she has no rights because we signed no OAA, and then I cut off contact until she became more stable. We have a decent relationship now.
Sorry you are having to deal with this. Adopting from foster care often involves bps who have trouble realizing that TPR and adoption are forever. MANY have the fantasy that the adoptive parents will allow unlimited contact at their discretion and/or that the adoptive parents will just hand the child back after a certain period of time. I've had to deal with that from my son's bd.
Advertisements
He can claim all sorts of things, but the reality of him getting an attorney to take a case like this is nil. He has no rights, which is why it takes so long for termination to take palce and why the state jumps through a million hoops.
It's up to you about continuing contact, but if it were me I would send him a certified letter with any info I wished him to know about what must happen in order for him to ever have any contact again, namely he cease any talk about legal matters concerning your children. You could lay out in very specific terms what he has to do for a visit and he can either abide by the rules or risk having no contact at all.