Advertisements
Advertisements
hisdaisy
It think that is also also depends on the rules of state you are in. Here there is no guarantee that you can adopt your foster child. It takes 12 months to get standing and that too can be denied. Family is considered first even if the child has been in your home for years. Family can come forward at nearly every point of the process (even after an adoptive match is made).
Here if caretaker status is not given to the foster family then the child must go to committee. The foster family is usually considered by the committee, but there are no guarantees. I know several great foster families that have not been chosen for their foster kids. These are homes are still open, but another family was better for that child.
We faced having to go to committee for our stbas because we did not have him 12 months. The cw apologized over and over, but kept saying the law was the law. Somehow at the last minute they found a loophole in the law and were able to ask for expedited status. We got it, but we could have been denied.
Adoption also take a long time finalize in my state, think 9, 12, 18 months. I am amazed how fast some of you go to adopt. My little guy was free in May and we are still waiting with no end in sight.
This is exactly how my state works. Just because you are the foster parent does not get you first choice here. They do take it into consideration because the child has been in your care, but they go to committee for every child to find the "best" family for the child. My oldest AS was with a foster family that wanted to adopt, however they were older and both had significant health issues. My AS was challenging behaviorally. He craved attention in the worst ways. The foster mom ran a daycare out of her home. She did respite care, had 4 bio kids and 2 grandkids all living in the home. So because he needed more attention the committee felt he should be in a home where he could get more attention. They wanted him in a single parent home with no other children. So he came to me. I honestly think they didn't want her to adopt because that would have closed her home.
Advertisements
TemporaryMom
Quite frankly, I am glad that foster parents aren't always the number one choice because unfortunately, you'd be rewarding a bad foster parent who might agree to adoption for the AA. In some areas, it can be as high as the foster per-diem. If this is a suspicion, then the child should go to committee and try to get placed in a very loving home.
I am quite certain the cases like that are rare, but they are out there. That woman in FL who starved her adoptive sons is perfect example. She seemed ok as a foster parent under microscope, but once CPS was gone from picture, her true motives were seen.
That said, as far as I know, here, it goes bio family, kin, fictive kin or far removed kin then foster parent, then stranger adoption in order of precedence. I haven't heard of foster family being denied here.
Hmmm, well AA is almost nonexistent here and if you do get it, it's WAY less than what you're getting to foster here. Like maybe 10%.
Unfortunately where I live this if fairly common. I have a friend that has been a foster parent to siblings for 5 years. She was just denied as the adoptive resource (kids have been with her since 4 months old and birth) due to "racial differences" as the kids are 1/16 and 1/32 First Nations. They were actively looking to move the kids to an adoptive family a 17 hour drive away from the community these kids have been in their whole lives, including positive relationships with siblings in other families and extended birth family. The social workers "promised" this other family the kids, before even telling the foster parent they would not consider her. Devastating for the pre-adoptive family who are only told the foster parent is "not approved" and for the blindsided foster parent.
She is fighting the system, and so far winning -- but all too often here kids are moved for no apparent reason after years with foster families. I am definitely of the opinion that if you are a good enough parent to be their foster parent for 3, 4, or 5 years, you are good enough to be their adoptive parent because to the child you ARE their parent.
This is 100% why we chose to take guardianship of our daughters. We know most certainly that in foster care in our province, due to the race of our daughters, they could have been moved AT ANY TIME in their lives. Even 12 or 13 years after placement.
Jensboys
Unfortunately where I live this if fairly common. I have a friend that has been a foster parent to siblings for 5 years. She was just denied as the adoptive resource (kids have been with her since 4 months old and birth) due to "racial differences" as the kids are 1/16 and 1/32 First Nations. They were actively looking to move the kids to an adoptive family a 17 hour drive away from the community these kids have been in their whole lives, including positive relationships with siblings in other families and extended birth family. The social workers "promised" this other family the kids, before even telling the foster parent they would not consider her. Devastating for the pre-adoptive family who are only told the foster parent is "not approved" and for the blindsided foster parent.
She is fighting the system, and so far winning -- but all too often here kids are moved for no apparent reason after years with foster families. I am definitely of the opinion that if you are a good enough parent to be their foster parent for 3, 4, or 5 years, you are good enough to be their adoptive parent because to the child you ARE their parent.
This is 100% why we chose to take guardianship of our daughters. We know most certainly that in foster care in our province, due to the race of our daughters, they could have been moved AT ANY TIME in their lives. Even 12 or 13 years after placement.
Oh yes. When ICWA laws apply, that is an exception to the rule here. I purposely won't take kids with known NA heritage. Had a close call with my current placement (all a lie).
HopingForForever
Hmmm, well AA is almost nonexistent here and if you do get it, it's WAY less than what you're getting to foster here. Like maybe 10%.
Right, which is why I said some areas. :-). I have no proof, but I have heard that here, where I had to really fight for AA for Chubbs, if you adopt an older sib group, especially non-Caucasian, that you will get more $$$ than foster per diem because there are other programs that they can pull from once adoption happens. Same with kin. By default, they get very little assistance unless they and the child are title 4 e qualified. One kin told FP in a class of mine that she didn't even want the sibling the FP had but she would take him because the county would bump up her $$$. That really ticks me off because there are good and loving kin out there who might take a child if they got some financial help like to help pay for daycare.
Advertisements