Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think it's probably more useful to think about openness as a spectrum.... and realize that no two relationships are going to be the same or stay the same over time. A relationship that is really open may close over time because of distance or other issues. A more closed adoption may open over time as parties become more comfortable with each other or there is a need for medical or other information.
While technically we have closed adoptions with both of my kiddos (different) birthfamilies, the reality is that we started out with a closed adoption for our AS, then I opened it and we have email contact with his bio-siblings. For our STBAS (in-process of adopting from foster care), we have email contact with extended relatives and will probably have visits after finalization.
Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. We are fortunate in that we know a LOT about the birthfamilies (that is an advantage of adoption through foster care). And we just try to answer their questions as truthfully as possible.
My kiddos are both 5 years old. We've had one since he was a baby and the other for almost three years.