Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Our placement will be final in a couple of weeks. Right now we have a semi-open arrangement meaning that we send pictures and updates on a schedule. We've also provided them with an email address and until 2 days ago had a phone number they could call. All forms of contact protect our identity per my husbands wishes.
Here's the deal for me. They live in another state. They can't afford to travel and show up unannounced. (yes she did that in a previous placement but only because updates had stopped and she waited till the boy was in school. She didn't stop by when he would be home). Right now they don't have phone or email access anymore because they can't afford to pay the bills. I know this because she called from a different phone and asked for a loan, which we had to say no to. So when the prepaid phone ran out of days we didn't renew it.
I don't think she's ready for visits as she didn't tell her kids (4 and 7) that she was pregnant or placed our daughter for adoption. What I'd like to do is start by just giving her my real cell phone number. I honestly don't think she'll abuse it. And I'm concerned that if she tries to call, she'll feel we closed the adoption like her other 2 placements. I don't want that to happen. She doesn't need that grief.
My husband isn't really going to be so open to this. He worries about things.
So 2 questions: What issues am I not considering in making this change to how we potentially interact? And also, any suggestions on how to help my hubby be more comforatable?