Advertisements
Advertisements
I agree with other posters. If the teacher wants to see change, she needs to be a part of the solution. I wanted to add...is he the only child in your home? It sounds like he suffers from "single child syndrome". I would recommend the book "Parenting an only child". We dealt with many similar behaviors with our son. Basically, he has been around adults most of the time. The rules are different. We insist our child goes through the door first. Now he has to wait for others. Our son would knock other children over just to go first!
He also went through a "punching private" stages that was not SA related but had me freaked out for a little while.
This is probably why the teacher is having all the trouble and your not. There is no way to "re-create" the social situations he has with other children in school since there are no other children to "practice" with at home.
Before I read the book, I gave consequences. After the book, I spoke with him about etiquette. Turns out, the old adage "teach by being a good example" has its limits. I had to follow up with actual verbal teaching...who knew?