Advertisements
Advertisements
I hear this a lot where people here mention interested relatives failed an adoption home study, so curious to hear the reasons if you know them. I know this can vary a lot by state, but interested in hearing experiences.
Well, not sure if this is what you mean, because none of my FS's bio family were for "adoptive" homestudies. Technically his goal is still Concurrent.
However, Bio Grandma has multiple mental health issues. Intiailly she also lived with biomom. She has since moved out of state. If they terminate on biomom, they still will not consider her due to mental health concerns.
Bio's life partner's mother was ruled out due to past involvement with CPS.
No other viable relatives could be found. Bio mom has personality disorder, so she has difficulty maintaining relationships and is estranged from the majority of her bioloical family, as is the same with bio grandmother.
Very sad to see the effect of severe mental illness on this family.
Advertisements
No that's helpful. I'm very suspicious of past CPS involvement of this relative due to a few factors I've found out. If not that, definitely either an addiction or severe mental health issues. Bad enough of her to lose custody of her kids to their dad. I'm just hoping it's not too long ago. If anything, I know this person is very unstable and couldn't provide a stable home by regular standards for adoption. I'm just hoping they don't let things slide for a close relative. There's also concerns with the bios being "too close" to this person, IMO.
Well, the biomom's longtime partner's mom....
her CPS involvement was from when the partner was only 2 years old. She is now in her early twenties. I think that took her off teh table pretty quickly. They also had other concerns, but didn't go into anymore detail than that.
My sister's first kiddo was living with an aunt, and then had to come into care because she moved into a home with someone with a felony record (her step dad - had to move in to help mom or something). LG's aunt has a record, and had a warrant out for her arrest when they did a background check on her. The grandfather was not approved for placement because of his criminal record. So...criminal records, who they live with, and mental health reasons seem to be why.
Unfortunately I'm not coming up with criminal records at all. I sound anti family here and really I'm not. All my placements have gone to family or kin of some kind and I've been satisfied with all of them except for one that went to a grandparent with multiple felonies. However, that was for temporary placement while bios worked their plans and not adoption. I have heard if this baby does not go to bio parents, they will seek adoption and not guardianship due to her age. If they move her from me at this point, it will be RU with bdad or adoption by a relative.
Advertisements
One of my ADs bio grandparents failed their homestudy because their house was unsafe (the actual house -- broken railings, hoarder-like levels of junk, etc.) They refused to clean it up, so they didn't pass.
My youngest AS's bio grandparents PASSED the homestudy and were on the road to adopting him. Then, they beat him to the point he ended up in the hospital. At that point, it was discovered that they were on drugs, and that a bunch of relatives had been covering for them.
In the cases of my other two kids, their bio families were ruled out without even getting to the point of a homestudy (heavy criminal activity/drugs).
We just adopted a sibling group whose grandparents really wanted them but could not because of recent felonies (within the past 5 years). Another family member from out of state also expressed interest, but didn't follow through on the required home study so they were ruled out for that reason.
TRas, do you know why they were ruled out so quickly?
NM, I see you added it. Thanks! I'm sure this relative will go through with a background check which will come up iffy for sure. It'll just be what they're willing to turn a blind eye at. I can see turning a blind eye to one thing, but not multiple red flags. I just want her to be safe and not feeling it with this family.
We've seen family ruled out mostly for having a criminal record. One gma was ruled out because she had adopted the 4 siblings and they were all had so many needs (Aspergers, RAD, depression, etc.) Other grandparents were ruled out due to past CPS involvement with their own children. We also had one ruled out for a VERY unkept home, which included prescription meds left out on counters, nightstands, tables. She'd never put them away for some reason. We have only had one family member pass an ICPC, but the case drug out and he stayed with us because of the bond with us and the other kids in the home.
Advertisements
In one of our cases, CW would not work with bio Mom's parents or even give them a homestudy because they had proven time and time again that they were bio Mom's biggest enablers.
In our class the other couple taking on their four nieces and nephews said that every other family member had been ruled out either by criminal past or past history with CPS. Sad because they said six other families had been ruled out. Wow!
We had one ruled out for not showing sustained stability. She had only just gotten on her feet (job, apartment, etc.) after many years of kiddo being in care. Also showed lack of resourcefulness (i.e. couldn't figure out how to take a bus to DCS). CW also concerned about closeness to bmom, who can be dangerous. All these reasons brought kiddo to us instead of bfam.
KatrinaL
We had one ruled out for not showing sustained stability. She had only just gotten on her feet (job, apartment, etc.) after many years of kiddo being in care. Also showed lack of resourcefulness (i.e. couldn't figure out how to take a bus to DCS). CW also concerned about closeness to bmom, who can be dangerous. All these reasons brought kiddo to us instead of bfam.
This is encouraging. It's things that aren't factual (like a criminal record and CPS record would be) but I feel these things apply to this relative. There are enough little red flags about her that make her a bad choice. One could excuse maybe one or two alone, but not everything together.
Advertisements
Has anyone known a relative that failed the homestudy due to being named on the child abuse central index? Ive heard that in some states, kinship can still be granted if family member simply writes a letter to the office of licensing, and can still be approved for placement.
1 Liked
 likes this.
I had a discussion with a caseworker after one of my foster kids revealed sexual abuse. He said although she chose not to go to the police, the name would be on the registry and would prohibit the child from ever going to a placement where the abuser was residing (was older sister's boyfriend -- sister wanted to petition for the kids, but he was living with her). But the also added an uncle for taking the kids from another kinship home (don't pass around the kids, even within families, they will penalize you for it). So, my guess is that is a difficult list to argue with. I am in AZ and people can be added for simply having an investigation as well.