Advertisements
Advertisements
I usually don't put down many details of our case because I'm a bit paranoid about being identified. I need some advice and can't talk to anyone in real life about this so here it goes. I am purposly being a bit vague and leaving out obvious identifying details. Sorry so long.
I have adopted two small children from a young relative via foster care. She is acting really erratic lately which makes me wonder if she is either back on meth or maybe even mentally ill. (I know she was neglected and abused herself as a child and cannot bond with a child) I have not seen her in three months but keep in contact via phone, text and facebook. She has a new baby and is married to a man who is not the other kids dad. She fled our town after she self-reported some pretty bad stuff to a mandated reporter who then hotlined it to CPS. She fled to her husband's country. I have been worried sick since.
She has now left her husband and is in Southern California where she grew up. She was involved in gang activity there. I have not heard from her for several days. I'm worried sick she has relapsed from the stress.
Anyways, she has a history of abandoning children when she is using. If her child ends up in care what will happen? We are in Northern California. I would think the father might get custody but the truth is he was deeply involved in a CPS case here in our county with his step kids and in fact the mother picked him over her kids. There was domestic violence. I know this because I'm friends with the children's adoptive mother. It's a small town. My neice denys he has abused her repeatedly, but they have a volitile relationship to say the least. You would never know it looking or talking to him. He presents very well. He has turned her into CPS before and tried to take the baby before she left him.
If the baby gets taken into care:
1. Will they give the child back to the father with his history and citizenship?
2. Obviously, I cannot foster due to distance. To be truthful, I would not want to foster her and rip my children's heart out when/if she went home. They have been through enough! My niece has had many long, long periods of sobriety intermixed with crazy insane periods of using. She would have my children now had she not abandoned them after 24 hours of RU. My children have mild attachment issues due to their early neglect and multiple caregivers. The new baby has had much more stability, but this looks like it may be coming to an end. I would want to be a permanancy resourse for this child. Would I have a chance? I know, relative coming out of the woodwork. I would ask for placement right away, and the foster parents would know, but she is a day's drive away from us. It will not happen till goal change which could be as long as a year. Mom voluntarily relinquished my children, so no involuntary TPR.
3. Would the father's bio family have a better chance, even though they are in another country?
4. My second choice would be Grandma. She is the parent of my first foster daughter. She is sober, and has come a long way in the past five years. Could she be the permanancy resourse?
5. Could she move back here and have the case and child moved here while she worked on RU? I might be able to do this logistically, but I still have my concerns about my kids well-being. Has anyone ever fostered a sibling before who went back to the parents?
6. If she moved back before CPS catches up with her, how much trouble will she be in for running? Assuming she is sober.
Sorry for the novel. I need some guidance.
Edited to take out a few details. Yes, I'm paranoid. lol