Advertisements
Advertisements
In my state, new kids that enter into care, are started at a level 1, basic rate. Every six months, we get a call and are asked questions, and the level could change from level 1 up to level 4. Each level pays a bit more. It can also go down. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. They ask the same questions, and even if the child is still having the same issues, they might decrease them from a level 2 back down to a basic level 1.
Also, all foster children in my state are considered special needs, therefore, the adoption tax credit applies, and once you adopt there is an adoption support check that you recieve each month until the child turns 18.
How does it work in different states? Is there a link to a comparison chart out there?
I find it it very frustrating when someone who doesn't even know my children calls and determines the level (1 to 4) of my children just by asking a few questions.
Is adoption support offered in all states to all children that are adopted through the foster care system. Just curious.
It's different in every state for both foster care stipend and adoption subsidy.
I don't know if there's one place that lists all the foster care rates, but you can find adoption subsidy info by state here:
[url=http://www.nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/stateprofiles.html]NACAC | Adoption Subsidy[/url]
It varies drastically. Not every state considers all foster children automatically special needs. So there are different qualifiers for the child to get adoption subsidy.
Advertisements
In Texas, kids start at basic; but in the first 45 days, if there is overwhelming documentation (hospital, etc), can be moved up without the normal protocol. We've had one who did that despite having a several moderate and a few specialized kids.
Okay, normal protocol for level of care is that a whole bunch of documentation is gathered including things like psych reports, weekly written reports from foster mom, etc and sent to YFT. They, with what they have, determine the child's level. Moderate level is reconsidered yearly. Specialized quarterly. Additionally, audits happen randomly (we just had one) where you have a couple days to get the packet in to them to determine if they still qualify. The amount of money from basic to moderate is a huge jump but a smaller jump up to specialized.
There are a few ways to be considered special needs in Texas. For the average foster kid, it is being over 2 and a minority or over 6 if caucasion or a part of a sibling group. Most kids get the max subsidy for their level ($400 for basic, $545 for anyone else). They can do otherwise though. For Monkey, if we get to keep her, we are hoping for $1 just to open doors if we need it down the line. It is *very* likely she'll need post-adoption services and/or additional medical services down the line.
BTW, that $400 and $545? I don't know where they get those numbers. It doesn't take any less to raise a kid once you adopt them. Additionally, $545 is about half of what the foster care stipend is for a moderate level kid. Thankfully, there are other post adoption services (and medicaid) to keep some of the costs down.
Wow! We have a standard rate and then they get rated based on a ton of questions about their needs and care, each question's answer being no need, min, mod, severe and each question has a point value based on the level. The points are added up and an additional amount of money is given based on the point total on top of the base rate. They used to only use this system for adoptions but just switched it for foster care too.