Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
F2AnJspCty
Ok, what is an ATIN? My CPS CW also acted somewhat incredulous when I talked about claiming Honey Bun (born 11/6 arrived 11/16). She wrote a number on a post-it note that she *thinks* is her SS#. So, what is the ATIN and how do you get one?
From what I have read on here, that is to be used ONLY for adoption. WHen I had the girls, and I had to deal with the same incredulous and "you better check with a tax accountant" I finally had to get the number from the finance area at the county. So that may be an alternate option for you. That was only a short 3 years ago but I even went all the way up to the "rules" guy who finally admitted that he knew the IRS policy changed but because they didn't want to get into the area of "giving tax advice" they decided to not change the rule book.
The IRS doesn't willy nilly give deductions. Certainly there was a lot of discussion about the benefit of this deduction for foster parents.
As you can see here, the ATIN is clearly intended for adoptive placements only.
[url=http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Adoption-Taxpayer-Identification-Number]Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number[/url]