Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone, I have tons of questions and hope someone can answer them that has already been through it. Our story my niece two children we removed from her in Jan 2012 she told noone my sister (her mom) was the one who turned her in so my niece was highly upset at the whole family. I constantly told my sister to contact the caseworker and let her know we would take them in. My sister and niece refused to give anyone caseworker name or number and when I would call I was told due to confedentialliy they couldnt give me information. My sister who was also and abusive parent (I kinshipped her children when they were younger) withheld information to punish her daughter she felt if her daughter's kids were with family her daughter wouldnt learn her lesson. We knew nothing of the case includeing whether or not she had the kids back. On Nov. 3, 2012 my niece called out of nowhere and told me she was at her attorneys office to sign relinquishment papers for court on Monday. She said even though her mom told her we didnt want them she wanted to ask me one last time if I would consider adopting her babies. I was shocked over the lies her mother told her and my husband and I immediatly said yes and asked what we need to do or where to go. Her attorney advised us to attend court on Monday.
We went to court and pled my case to everyone in the hallway who would listen. The CASA worker, Ad litem, all attorneys everyone except the caseworker who refused to talk to me. My point was I myself came from an abusive home this didnt start with my niece. I left home at 14 years old and lived through teenage homelessnes, dropping out, pregnancy, and an abusive relationship. I was emanctipated with the assistance of CPS at 16 years old and was finally able to enroll myself in school and get an apartment for me and my birth son. I went on to college and became and advocate for domestic violence victims. I have worked in group homes for foster children, Battered Womens Shelter, and other non-profit programs. I am a public speaker on my life story for various programs. I have worked my whole life to overcome the barriers I faced as a child. Knowing these two little ones are out there adoption ready put my mommy instincts in full gear. I love them so much words cannot describe. I feel we are the best people to raise them because I can teach them they are not where they come from but what they make themselves. We all have choices and thier is no excuse for my sister or niece to be what was done to them. I am self made and taught myself to never give up. By the grace of god one of the attorneys spoke up to the judge about me and my family. Judge was concerned as to where we had been all this time. The children now 2 and 3 years have been with the same foster moms for 6 months at that time and they too wanted to adopt. Judge stated although he was not ruling out family he wasnt convinced this was the best option at this point. CW stated 3yo had anger issues and was currently in therapy and thriveing with the foster moms. A home study was ordered and perm. court scheduled in 90 days. We had one home study by CW only and waiting for a 3rd party homestudy, we have passed all our backgrounds as well. The CW hasnt given me any information on what I need to do to be granted custody. On my own I attend a foster adopt meeting and got foster requirements from them. We have done our CPR classes, TB testing and inspections on our own ahead of anyone asking. We have a bedroom set up full of toys and books for them again without knowing what the outcome will be. I began to panick a few weeks ago and hired an attorney to officially intervene on the case on our behalf. The CW said we are a perfect family for foster care but she really wants the foster moms to adopt because they truly love the kids. I have no contact with them although I send them gifts and books with my voice all the time. I also send gifts for their foster sister because I dont want her to feel left out. We have a hearing on Tuesday for the perm plan. I know in my heart I am doing the right thing but feel horrible for the fp if they are placed with us we have decided to keep communication and visits open to them if they want it. At the hearing if they decide to place with us how quickly does that happen? Has anyone experienced a case the judge still decided for the foster parents even when a suitable family member is available? Any thoughts or words of wisdom?
Wow, sounds messy.... I am surprised they haven't tried to set up visits with you and that the caseworker said she wanted the foster moms to adopt since they have been in that home for six months, seems odd. Maybe try posting on the main foster parent support board and you will get more traffic with experience in the same type of situation... best of luck to you!
Advertisements
come post over in the relative support subforum (under adoptive parents). there are lots of us who have been in your shoes
A year into care, foster homes and CWs like to say consider the placement permanent. You need someone advocating for you 7 the child. Or at least, letting your side be heard
If it were me, I've get a consultation with an adoption experienced lawyer.
good luck!
Thanks for sharing your story, so many times I hear the other side, the foster parents who are losing the kids they thought would stay because family came out of no whereӔ. It helps to see that CPS does not always do their job and look at all family options first.
I can only speak to your transition question. The caseworker should have already let you have visitation BUT that is in the past. The judge could say how long but from what I have seen maybe a week or 2. Depends on how the children react to the transition.
It would be great if you could talk to the foster parents and let them know that you always wanted them and have tried to get them from day one and that you value the time and love you have given the kids. That could help them deal with this.
This sucks for all parties, I wish you the best of luck at court! Let us know how it goes.
PRIDE completed 1/2012
Home Study competed 2/2012
Approved to Adopt 3/2012
RAS 1 5/2012
RAS 2 6/2012, picked! We said Yes!
Transition started 7/2012
Court 8/2012 MOVE IN!!!
Trial 10/2012 ֖ Rights terminated
Adoption 2013
Thank you all for your reply I have re-posted in the Adoptive Parents/relative area with a full update. Long story short the reset placement hearing until July. My attorney is waiting for the complete home study and will ask for a sooner date once she receives it on her desk.