Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi ,
My 14 yr old son has been with us nearly a year now. We finalized his adoption in December 2012. Beginning in January, early February he started lying about girls, who he was talking to, deleting text messages, and most recently by violating his punishment by getting up in the middle of the night to play Wii. Currently the lies aren't serious but its the principal and the fact that we feel like we can't trust him at all. We took the cell phone, ipod and all electronics about a week ago bc he lied to my face about a girl that we feel is bad news. I'm not sure if this is, I'm feeling comfortable and so I'm going to try to get away with as much as I can or he changed meds in December from Adderall to Straterra for ADHD. This is really out of character for him for the most part. Anyone have any thoughts ?
Hi Cupcake17, I am reading your post kind of late; but hopefully your situation has gotten better for you. Its safe to say the honeymoon is over! We were all teenagers at one time, and teens are known for telling fibs, some are better than others, but it comes with the territories when raising teenagers, especially today with Generation X. Consider the quirkiness of a teenager already, self center and over the top drama; plus add their background, behavior issues that are known or not, abandonment issues, and lack of nurturing. Not knowing your situation; but kids in the system have a lot of catching up to do, beside the normal teenager blues. We as parents must be very understanding not just with our own bio kids, but especially with kids that come from broken homes. We have so much love to offer them and thatҒs a balancing act with correction. Ive learned from my own parents; they were the parents and I was the child, and I always knew their love was unconditional! Kids from broken homes take time; the love you give now will someday be returned if not sooner. When my bio kids were teens, I swear I wanted to wish them into the corn field at least once a week lol. Trust, understanding, and patients; balancing act itҒs certainly is. Good luck
Attended Foster Care Orientation 11/19/2010
Application submitted 11/21/2010
State foster home application accepted 3/1/2011
Medical Physicals 2/2011
County Interviews 3/2011
Classes start & finished 4/14/2011-6/23/2011
First Aide classes 6/30/2011
Passed Home Inspection (State) 11/02/2011
Live scans; county and state: started 4/26/2011 finally ended 9/2011
Due to Riverside County miss placing or not transmitting prints
First half of our Home study completed 12/22/2011
Second half of our Home study completed 01/ 05/2012
FINALLY APPROVED and officially on waiting list 05/08/2012 due to
under staffing at Riverside County.
First placement: 6/10/2012 until 8/01/2012; we miss them so much.:female: :female: :female:
Advertisements
Fairly typical teenager. Trust and honesty is a huge thing for us as well but the reality is teens are going to lie particularly when it comes to girls/boys or parties.
Our rule in our house is always if you tell the truth the consequence will be less than if you lie. (sometimes works sometimes doesn't depending on if they think they can get away with it) And consequences are short, so they can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I have friends who have daughters who are incredible athletes, good in school but use their cell phones and sneak out to meet friends/guys in the middle of the night- completely out of character behavior, until now.
Good luck :grouphug: