Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there, everyone. I'm new here but full of questions and looking forward to learning and researching as much as I can on this journey.
My husband and I have an 8 year old daughter and are considering adopting an older child to round out our family (ages 5yrs-9yrs). We've just begun really researching this. My question is this:
Last year I was a traditional surrogate for a friend who had lost their uterus to cancer. Traditional means I donated my own egg so I had a bio link to baby. Because of CO law, my name was placed on the birth certificate even though I was a surrogate. My friend has to petition for a step-parent adoption in her state and I subsequently had to confirm consent to adoption which required me to relinquish my rights. These are all formalities so Mom can go on the birth certificate. Her DH is bio dad.
My question is- will an adoption agency see this as a surrogacy? Or will they say I relinquished my rights to a child? I'm nervous about the way I'll be treated when I tell them I was a surrogate. It is taking forever for my friend to get the court date to finalize the step-parent adoption.
Can I begin the process before that finalization is complete? I don't have to do anything else- their lawyer sent me the forms, I signed them, DH signed them and now they're just waiting for the date to go in and finalize.
Thank you for any kind advice~
ETA: We had a complete Surrogacy contract, etc. so I'm not sure if that will help?
I am a first mom and the agency I used has said that they would probably approve me for an adoption. My beast friend placed her first child for adoption and is currently adopting from foster care. Point being is that even if you are a "full fledged" first mother you aren't disqualified from adopting so I don't know why you would be as a surrogate.
Advertisements
belleinblue1978
I am a first mom and the agency I used has said that they would probably approve me for an adoption. My beast friend placed her first child for adoption and is currently adopting from foster care. Point being is that even if you are a "full fledged" first mother you aren't disqualified from adopting so I don't know why you would be as a surrogate.
Thank you!
It's been hard for me to know where to ask this question- I'm a bio mom and a surro so it's been a little confusing to know where I fit in. I appreciate your advice. Do you think not having the adoption finalized just yet will be an issue if we begin our home study process soon?
It sounds like you are looking to adopt from foster care, since you are hoping to adopt an older child? I know that in my area, they would want you to wait a year (pregnancy would fall under the "no major life changes in the last year" category). I am thinking that this would be a year since the birth of the child, not since the finalization of the adoption, since that would not be a life change for you.