Advertisements
Advertisements
So my husband calls our local dhs office and asks to speak to someone so we could atleast be told something. Turns out the woman who answered the phone is the person who just got handed our casefile yesterday.
She asked him what we were looking for and my husband replied 0-2 and before he could say anymore
"What would you think about two native american boys aged 1 and 2? They have no behavioral issues and foster mom needs a break while we find them a tribal home."
Of course he called me to talk about it because well...we are all set up for a GIRL!!!
This is going to sound odd but I have experience with girls since obviously I have my own.....Idk how to clean their.......boy stuff!
However, even though it's not what we thought we wanted we are willing to learn more information about them. Things I am wanting to know are:
Why were they taken from their home? ...and that's all I have lol; any veterans that can give me recommendations on what to ask? And does it sound odd that they have no behavioral issues but foster mom needs a break?
Hmmm. Fostermom needs a break is a bit troubling. That is what I would want to know about. Also, what are thet doing to find a tribal home. I wouldn't take these kids if you are thinking it is only going to be a few week placement. I would not be surprised to find out they can't find a tribal home. Personally, I would ask if you can speak with fostermom since this is your first placement and you are a little bit nervous about what her needing a break might say about the boys. If you can't speak with the fostermom, then say no to this placement.
Advertisements
If you are looking to foster/adopt, I'd say don't even entertain this option. Most native kids have ICWA involvement and adoption is pretty rare. The ones who do end up adopting had a looong arduous process.
Cleaning boy parts made me LOL a little cuz girls have wayyyy more nooks and crannys to clean!
Water in the tub cleans and rinses any places you can't get to,if boys are not circumsized you do NOT pull the skin back! Leave it alone.
Wash them with a rag and soap as you would any other place. I'm guessing your DH has boy parts, other than not pulling skin back....easy bathing.
Tribal issues are rough from what I've heard.
I'm not as concerned as other poster about FM needed a break, but only because 1 and 2 can be very challenging ages and together will keep a person scrambling.
Lol!!! I have all girl cousins so I have never been around little boys. I love the informative post digmykids! Even though I am Cherokee, we weren't going into this with the intention of adopting them because well...she keeps asking for a sister. I wouldn't think they would have trouble finding a tribal home here in Oklahoma but I have been wrong lots of times before. When you receive a new foster placement do they come with a carseat or do you usually have to buy one?
We have to have car seats. They transport them in one but it does not stay with them.
Boys are easy to clean. I think they are easier than girls.
I do not know if I would be worried FP needs a break. I have 2 little ones I need a break from but we are too stubborn to use respite. I would ask more detailed question on why she needs a break.
If she needs a break is it just respite or is she looking for a long term break. If it is long term that would flag me.
Advertisements
Having a 1 and a 2 year old, both boys, in my home right now, I can tell you- even with no behaviors, it will wear you out. So FM needing a break doesn't really seem out of the realm of possibility to me. They are exhausting. Boys are very rough and tumble (at least my two FS are) and are constantly on the go.
DH just said he forgot to mention that they are from a family of four. Maybe she has all four of them and that's why? Will post more information as we find out. I appreciate the wisdom!!!
One more taking care of BOYS tip. Make sure that when you change their diapers, you make sure their tips are pointing down. If you let them point the the side or even upwards (it's harder than it sounds to make them lay right), they'll pee out of their diapers. The very first Sunday that we had our baby boy, I didn't aline him properly and he peed down his leg. Didn't have a spare outfit either. Oops.
Advertisements
Just got off the phone with the caseworker:
3 year old, potty trained
1 year old lead poisoning (needs to be checked again in august), is drinking from sippy cups
Removed two months ago bc of medical neglect and unfit housing. Both are really well behaved. No medical issues or medications. Two older siblings in another foster home. They are trying to find a tribal foster home where all four can be together.
Southernmomma
Just got off the phone with the caseworker:
3 year old, potty trained
1 year old lead poisoning (needs to be checked again in august), is drinking from sippy cups
Removed two months ago bc of medical neglect and unfit housing. Both are really well behaved. No medical issues or medications. Two older siblings in another foster home. They are trying to find a tribal foster home where all four can be together.
Are you going to take them? Sounds like fun!
Yes! :happydance: Caseworker is coming on Tuesday for us to sign the foster care paperwork. She didn't mention when exactly the boys would be coming though. We told our daughter that we might be bringing two boys home to stay for a little while and she counters with: "How about two girls?" lol.
They have only been in one foster home for the past two months and the foster mom is currently looking to take a break from fostering. We are totally excited to have more little ones running around the house. I am glad we have the weekend though to finish tying up loose ends like getting carseats, more sippy cups and a convertable crib.
I bet she'll grow to love them. If she's never really been around boys she probably doesn't know what to expect either.
Advertisements
jendubz
I bet she'll grow to love them. If she's never really been around boys she probably doesn't know what to expect either.
I think your right, she has never been around boys but she did get a bit excited when she picked out a Cars comforter for one of their beds today.