Advertisements
Advertisements
So my STBAS was just officially diagnosed with Disorder of Infancy NOS at almost 13 months old. He was Meth exposed/positive at birth and does have some issues but nothing major we are seeing yet. He is just starting OT, PT and Speech. He is also receiving infant massage which in my opinion is a joke because this kid does not stop or calm down ever:woohoo: He seems to have problems most with his fine motor skills but seems to be catching up for the most part. He didn't roll over till almost 9 months and didn't crawl till almost 12 months, now he can cruz furniture at almost 13 months old. He does get over stimulated alot and came to us with problems regulating his emotions. He doesn't say any words. For about 2 weeks a couple months ago he was saying mama really well but no longer says it. He does babble ALOT but doesn't have any words even though we talk to him all day and we don't do baby talk. So my question is to anybody who has dealt with this what does the outcome look like. Do babies who get this diagnosis usually end up with something more like Autism or anything? I can already tell you he is going to put me through the ringer when he is around 2/3 because he is SO determined and has SO much energy;)
NOS means "not otherwise specified." It's basically the catch-all for any issue that doesn't really fit any of the defined categories, and since kids need a diagnosis in order to get services, it could mean anything from a serious issue to something really mild that will stop being a diagnosable issue at all after getting services. The diagnosis itself won't tell you much; you would be better off talking to the providers and seeing what they think the prognosis is.
Advertisements
Ruth is completely right. Its basically a diagnosis to say that they think something is going on but at this point they don't know what. Just wanted to add that not saying words is pretty normal for a boy at that age, their language skills are slower to develop than girls. Our BD started speaking full sentences by 15-18 months, our BS didn't until he was two and a half. Boys tend to be MUCH more physical and the meth exposure could certainly increase that. While our BD could carry on a conversation earlier than our BS she didn't hold a candle to BS physically, he climbed the counters to the top of the fridge at 18 months :eek:
With all his services, I wouldn't be too concerned but I would do baby talk...I think its good for bonding and babbling :)
Yeah, my STBAS had maybe 3-4 words in his vocabulary until he was 23ish months old, and ZERO words until 18 months, and then his language just took off shortly after his 2nd birthday! Now he is right on target with speech.
I think 13 months old is very early to say there is something going on with speech unless he has another diagnosis where you know speech will be an issue.