Advertisements
Advertisements
A little background in case you haven't seen any of my other posts (I'm not sure how to link to them)
We are in the process of getting our foster parent license. We ended up with an 11 year old girl. I found out she was in a bad place I offered to let her stay here a couple days while mom straighten some things out...2 months later...I learn a lot more about the family and this girls history...so I just ask mom would she be willing to sigh over custody to us. She agreed...
I asked CPS first, then we went to the courthouse and filed the 342.00 petition of uncontested transfer of custody. We were all set just waiting on the judge to sign....then...... CPS suddenly has their panties in a wad....we had no right...blah blah blah....I reminded CW hey I called you and told you the plan...you told me that CPS had not filed any petitions and did not have custody of girl11...so why are you upset now??
She says that someone has to hold mom responsible...I say.... no really they don't. You just went through a year plus with mom on 2 other children...one placed with dad/grandmother, case closed the other you just TPR'd a couple weeks ago....we can see mom isn't going to work your plan to get girl back so why do we have to jump on the merry go round of paperwork court dates and hoopla...
why can't we just let our petition run it's course and let girl11 stay here and be properly cared for ...she tells me "oh we don't plan to move her from your home, we have no place to put her so she'll be staying right here with you"....and so again I say...WHY?!?!?!?! can't we just let it be??? CPS will be contacting the judge, asking him to resend our petition and sign a petition giving DHR custody and placing mom on a plan...that the CW herself said will most likely end in TPR in about 18 months.....pppffftttsssss!!!!:grr:
and why are they all worried about girl11 now?!?!?!...they've been involved with the family over a year...they have removed 2 other children leaving girl11 with her mom and grandmother...who move every couple of months, no stable home ...who do not have consistent power, water, food...whose house looks like and episode of hoarders on TLC...where crack smoking, shooting up boyfriend comes and goes as he pleases...where they basically allowed older brother to sexually abuse girl11 for a couple of years.....WHY do you want to worry about her now?!?! You can see she's taken care of. I get compliments from teachers, CW's counselors how much better she is behaved and they see such improvement with her....CPS plans to leave her placed here....So I just do not understand...I just don't...they talk about permanency and what's best for the children...yet they want to fight against it...they want to drag the whole thing out for 18 more months when it could be over within 30 days....????.... I have to called and email the CW mulitple times over 2 weeks to get her to call me back and first thing out of her mouth is an aplology she's been so busy she has so many cases and court dates and blah blah blah....well honey here I am trying to take one off of your hands....let it be already!!!! ....Which by the way to be fair I guess...it seems the CW would let it be but her supervisor is pushing...?? maybe or she's just using that as an excuse???
ok anyway...I'm hoping / praying the judge at least calls a hearing and I get a chance to speak to him....appeal to his sense of logic and he can see the that this girl has resources...a family to care for her now...and dragging it out 18 months will not benefit the child...I see it actually hurting her more...having to watch her mom time and time again not want her enough to work her plan...or show up for visits...
:grr:
It is a sad state of affairs for sure. I'm new to this but I am going into it knowing I am doing best I can but have very little control over anything.
Advertisements
I'd rather you had a full TPR than just a transfer of custody. Then you could adopt and you'd never have to worry about anything being contested. It's better for Girl11 too. You get funds, assistance, mental health, etc. I think in the long run this is a better move. Frustrating, but the correct legal course.
MountainMommy
I'd rather you had a full TPR than just a transfer of custody. Then you could adopt and you'd never have to worry about anything being contested. It's better for Girl11 too. You get funds, assistance, mental health, etc. I think in the long run this is a better move. Frustrating, but the correct legal course.
Agreed. Yes, it puts them in the middle for a while. But with another TPR chances sound good for a quick process. I might say different if you weren't becoming FP anyway. All the junk that comes with G11 being in custody is just going to be more of the same. Good luck, I hope it doesn't take the 18 months before TPR happens.
MountainMommy
I also agree. Even if you don't need the money, pre-teens and teens are expensive! Plus, she will get her college paid for and free medical so I see this as a positive!
She isn't going to be moved so I say go with it. If mom is TPR'd, then you won't have to worry in 2 or 3 years that she wants her back and takes you to court.