Advertisements
Advertisements
No discussion here of the Baby Veronica case?
The latest news is she is to be taken from her father and given to the couple who failed to finalize the adoption. Experts recommend that they give her a cookie to help her adjust.
I think its a terrible tragedy, and I hope there really is enough love in both families that they can all help that child minimize whatever pain she finds as she grows up.
The one positive thing about it is that she won't have to deal with the secrecy issues most of us face.
Aside from the personal injury to that one girl and her father, the apparent organized assault on ICWA is really disturbing. The Court didn't throw out the act, but the Justices can hardly be seen as standing firm in its defense. They just allow a chip knocked off here, maybe another chip next time. Termination one chip at a time. And the majority decision, starting off in its first sentence blathering about a little blood quantum--pardon me, but what an idiot, your Honor; do you know what citizenship is? And in all the discussion I've read, almost no one (except the Native press) even uses the word sovereignty. Most Americans just don't get it.
The case seems to be part of a rising tide of racist anti-Native sentiment re-asserting itself. I hope I'm wrong.
The most recent post is in the Foster Care and Adoption forum in the first subforum. All forum members are posting in it. Titled Baby Veronica.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
the suit (V.B. v. Daniel E. Martin, Family Court for the Ninth Judicial Circuit) declares that Veronica is a tribal member and remains an Indian ChildӔ under the Indian Child Welfare Act, and therefore she possesses a federally protected rightӔ to a best interest hearing under federal law.
Read more at [url=http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/08/01/gloves-come-civil-rights-suit-filed-adoption-veronica-finalized-150676]The Gloves Come Off: Civil Rights Suit Filed as Adoption of Veronica Finalized - ICTMN.com[/url]
I posted this in the Baby Veronica thread. I agree with NARF on their legal conclusions. This suit could delay any transition, but we shall have to wait & see.